We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Friday, March 23, 2012

Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread

   Just so you know, this posting is actually part three of a 'probably' four part series, out of which came three different meals. Two of the recipes are my own, which I had made up years ago and everybody still loves. The other two, were items I found via Pinterst and wanted to try. They were H-U-G-E hits! :-D

    For the same meal when I experimented with the Pasta Pie recipe, which I posted about yesterday, I also experimented with trying the Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread which I had also found via Pinterest. Yes, I tried two new recipes on my family in the same meal. I could just tell by reading them that a) they were meant to go together, and b) I would be more surprised if my family didn't like them, than if they did. I was right. On both accounts! "Love it when a plan comes together!"  :->
     To see my pin, go HERE. To see the blog posting and blog that it had originally been pinned from, go HERE.  (For what it's worth, the story Kristen (the blog owner) shared about pancakes during this posting, both cracked me up and made me ever so glad that I am NOT the only one crazy things happen to in the kitchen! Seriously!)

         As you would expect from me, I was making more than just a single batch. This time, I had done three times the recipe. I knew a single batch would not be sufficient for our Sunday dinner that week! Just wanted you to keep that in mind when you are looking at the pictures. :->

    First step - In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast and water.

    Let sit for five minutes until the yeast is foamy.

   Mix in the olive oil and salt

   and Flour

    Second step - I was doing this by hand, for which the instructions say to, "knead the dough for 5 to 6 minutes or until elastic". But do to having "help", I chose to knead it still in the bowl. If you've ever tried to knead dough with a young enthusiastic helper, you'll probably understand my reasoning.
   (My plan had been to get everything into the oven and then jump in the shower. thus my outfit and overall appearance. The ONLY reason I am even using these pictures Benson had taken is for later inclusion in Analyse's memory book. )

     I like the comparison of our hand sizes.

   Third step -  the instructions say to "transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl". I pulled the kneaded dough out of the bowl for a minute. Thourally / heavily sprayed the bowl with pan coating spray, put the dough back in to the bowl, then rolled it around so that all areas of the dough ball had spray on it.
    You then cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
      (I have found that sitting the bowl inside my not turned on oven both gets it out of the way for now, and keeps it in a draft free environment. <-- BONUS TIP there)

     Fourth step - the making of the butter mixture.
     In a small bowl, combine melted butter,

    parsley flakes,

     and garlic powder.

     Fifth step - prepare the baking pan. I chose to use by Angel food type cake pans for this, seeings how I don't have 'bundt pans'. First I heavily sprayed the pans. then, thinking about how the dough is dipped in the butter mixture, I thought it best to also line the bottom with a half piece of parchment paper (I buy the packages of industrial sized sheets of parchment paper).


    Sixth step - Punch down the dough.

      I always feel kind of mean doing that, after it's been good and risen oh so nicely!

     Seventh step - Tear off small pieces of dough

   and coat in butter mixture.


     Seventh step - place the dough in the bottom of the pan. Repeat this process until you have a full layer.

     Sprinkle on 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese.

    Add another layer of dough balls.
 
     And another layer of the Parmesan cheese.

     According to the directions, you are then suppose to add a third layer. This time I only did two layers. I'll tell you about the second time I made this recipe and adding a third layer, in an upcoming posting.    

    Eighth step - Again cover the dough with the towel and let it sit until it has doubled in size. about 20 to 30 minutes.

    Ninth step - Preheat oven to 350o (175 degrees C)
         Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.

    Remove bread from pan and serve hot,
    with a side of marinara or tomato sauce.

      My 'Marinara Sauce' -

         1 large can Tomato Sauce
         1 1/2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
         3/4 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
      Blend together thourally while heating. Pour into a serving bowl and use a gravy ladle to scoop it out.

     We served it with the choice of marinara sauce, or good ole' ranch dressing. Both options were well liked.
       
         And now for the actual bread recipe -
        Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread
                recipe from Kristen at 'The Pastry Affair' blog

     Yields 1 loaf

     2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
     1 1/3 cups barely warm Water
     2 Tablespoons extra-virgin Olive Oil
     2 teaspoons Salt
     3 1/2 cups all purpose (or bread) flour
     1/4 cup butter, melted
     1 Tablespoon dried Parsley Flakes
     3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
     1 cup (freshly grated) Parmesan Cheese

     In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast and water. Let sit for 5 minutes or until yeast is foamy. Mix in the olive oil, salt and flour. If you have a stand mixer, attach the dough hool and kned the dough for 5 to 6 minutes, or until elastic. If you are doing this by hand, knead the dough ion a lightly floured surface until dough is elastic, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until dough is doubled in size.

    In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, parsley flakes and garlic powder. Set aside.

   Punch down the dough. Tear off small pieces, coat in the butter mixture and place in the bottom of your baking pan. (She used a bundt pan, I used an Angel Food type cake pan).  Repeat this process until you have one layer of dough balls. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the Parmesan Cheese. Repeat process. Cover the pan with a clean towel and allow to sit until dough has doubled in size, 20 to 30 minutes.

    Preheat oven to 350o
  
    Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
   Serve hot with marinara sauce or ranch dressing.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:

  ~ "Full Plate Thursday('s)", are hosted by Miz Helen, at 'Miz Helen's Country Cottage' (http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/).     
  ~ "Foodie Friday('s)", are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum' (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)   
  ~ "Sweets For A Saturday", hosted by Lisa, at 'Sweet As Sugar Cookies' (http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com)
  ~ "Simply Delish Sunday('s)", are hosted by KB and Whitesnakes, at 'KB and Whitesnakes Home' (http://kbandwhitesnakeshome.blogspot.com)
 ~ "Creative Monday's", are hosted by Clair Justine, at 'Clairejustineoxox' (http://clairejustineoxox.blogspot.com/), and Judy, at 'Judy-H-JS Thoughts' (http://judyh-jsthoughts.blogspot.com/)
  ~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven'  (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
  ~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)'  (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
  ~  "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes'  (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/). 
 ~ "Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits", hosted by Susan, at 'Permanent Posies / Creative Chaos' (http://permanentposies.com/)
 ~ "Totally Tasty Tuesdays", are hosted by Mandy, at 'Mandy's Recipe Box' (http://www.mandysrecipebox.blogspot.com/).
  ~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace'  (http://www.blessedwithgrace.net/).
  ~ "Foodie Wednesday('s)", are hosted by Bibi, at 'Daily Organized Chaos' (http://www.dailyorganizedchaos.com/). 
   ~ "These Chicks Cooked Link Party",
hosted by Katie L, at 'This Chick Cooks' (http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com)
  ~ "What's Cooking Wednesday('s)" (shall we say # 1 ?), are hosted by Cristi, at 'The King's Court IV' (http://www.thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/), and by  Diane, at 'Turning The Clock Back' ("one eco friendly step at a time") (http://turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com/)).       

No comments:

Post a Comment

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]