We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Choc. Chip or M+M Cookies

   To be honest (which IS what I try hard to be on this blog) I had been fighting the desire for chocolate chip cookies too (like I had been fighting the desire for Peanut Butter Choc. Bars). Fight the urges I did. For quite awhile. But then last week I ever so innocently went to link my posting about the " "Mexican Style" Bar" up to Alli N Son's "Sweet Tooth Friday" blog party. The recipe she had posted was for 'Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies'.  AND, she went and included pictures of them. How was I suppose to keep up my resistance against my desires for some? You don't know either, do you?  o:-p
     This is the comment I left to Alli. "Well Allison, I had been having hankerings for chocolate chip cookies, but had thus far been successful in resisting said wanting's. Now however, you've gone and made me visualize them ..... so much for resisting. Cookie baking coming up soon!!!! o;-p"
     This is the oh so compassionate reply she sent back. "So glad I could help break your resistance! LOL!"   ;-p!!!
      As I had mentioned in an earlier posting, I did give in and bake choc. chip cookies. I did so for Brandon's birthday. Double Bulls Eye that!  o;->

     W-a-y back in the early days of our marriage (and NO, 30 plus years ago does NOT qualify as ancient history! ! ! Gee-sh!) I had baked choc. chip cookies for my new husband, using a recipe out of a Betty Crocker's (R) Bisquick(TM) Cookbook. Here is a picture of the little cookbook.

    For awhile after the cookbook was published (1975), Bisquick(TM) would release new sections to the binder, inside box's of Bisquick(TM). I still have a lot of those.

   I think that you too will enjoy the quote they put on the back side of the inside page of the cook book.
   "For the woman who's practical enough to take a shortcut
    and creative enough to make the most of it."
   Isn't that great?!!!

   The recipe for chocolate chip cookies was featured on page 47.
    And a much beloved recipe it has become around here!
   Over the years, I did try a whole bunch of 'totally from scratch' chocolate chip cookie recipes. But my dear husband always compared them to my original type, and they always fell short in comparison. I was practical enough to declare "okay then" and stop trying any other recipes. He loved these. I love these. The boys... well... one for each hand and one for the mouth, per raid of the cookie 'jar'.... yeah, they loved them too. ;-p
     Your welcome to make up your own mind whether these are a "keeper" recipe or not.

     Usually I only post a picture or two of the finished product. This time I took a whole lot of pictures and shall show you step by step the process of making them. PLEASE leave a comment letting us know which type of posting you prefer!!!

      First you measure the brown sugar into a mixing bowl. Place the butter on top of it and stick it in the microwave for about a minute. (I was making a tripe batch in these pictures.)

           It comes out looking something like this.
               Then you blend it all together .
           Add the eggs. Bonus tip here --> After you crack an egg into a bowl, use the broken shell to crack the yolk of the egg. This makes mixing everything together ever so much easier! (Especially when your doing a few dozen eggs towards making french toast for over a hundred people!). Another Bonus Tip here --> IF when you crack your eggs a small bit of the egg shell breaks free and falls down into your bowl, use the rest of the shell to scoop it back out. Somehow this is the easiest method to do so.
      After mixing the eggs in real good, add the Bisquick(TM). Blend thourally. Yes, it is impossible to blend it to the point that absolutely none of the little white clumps remain. Don't worry. It's not just you. And no, they won't show up in the baked product. Don't know how they don't. Just glad they don't! :->
     It is then time to add your chocolate chips. The recipe calls for one (1) cup of chocolate chips per recipe. But I'm the type that likes to have a chocolate chip in every single bite of my cookie, so I add more. How much more?  I can't say for sure. I eyeball it.

        It is now time to pan the cookie dough. Using a sprayed cookie sheet, and the wonderful little cookie dough scoop that I just re-found (and can not remember if I bought it for myself, or if it was gifted to me - SORRY!) I got the pans of cookies ready for the oven.
          After baking, they come out looking like this.

   LET  THEM  COOL ON  THE  PANS!!! They sort of finish baking while they do so. The end result is a oh so soft cookie!

   One time back before the boys had yet hit their teens, I wanted to make M + M(TM) cookies, but didn't have a specific recipe to use. I thought about it and figured, why not use my chocolate chip cookie recipe and just substitute the M + M's(TM) for the chocolate chips. It worked! They too were a hit!


   Like I said, I had hit the double bulls eye (o;->) by making the choc. chip ones for Brandon's birthday. Then Benson got a phone call saying it was his turn to bring a snack for the guys at the Wed. night Bible study he attends. I was out of choc. chips. And 'Ms. Vertigo Girl' here can't just run to the store. But wait... there is that big bag of M+M's still sitting ....
    So I can now show you pictures of how this recipe looks when you use M + M's (TM) instead of chocolate chips. And yes, these too are delicious!!!

   The mixed together dough. I was THRILLED with how that picture turned out! :-> !
          The panned / ready for the oven dough.
        The baked cookies. :-D 
        REMEMBER TO LET THEM COOL ON THEIR PANS!

    And now for the much anticipated recipe ;-]

    Chocolate Chip (or M + M(TM) ) Cookies
      Recipe from Bisquick(TM)
      directions adapted by Cheryl B.
   1 cup Brown Sugar
   1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter
   1 egg
   2 cups Bisquick
   1 cup chocolate chips (I use Nestle(TM) Semi-sweet ones)
     -OR- 1 cup M+M's (TM)

   Measure brown sugar into mixing bowl. Place butter on top and microwave to melt the butter. Blend thourally. Add the egg and blend again. Add the Bisquick (TM) and blend as thourally as you can (but don't spend a long time on it!). Mix in the choc. chips OR the M+M's(TM).
   Scoop dough onto sprayed pans.
   Bake in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
   LET COOKIES COOL ON THEIR PANS!
   A single batch makes 2 dozen cookies.

    Fix yourself a tall glass of white milk (CALCIUM! ;-p), grab a couple of cookies, and e-n-j-o-y!! ;-)

:-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~ :-) ~

You might also enjoy these recipes using Bisquick(TM) or Jiffy(TM) -
~ Wonderful Plain Muffins

~ Chocolate Pudding [good served hot or cold!]


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
~ "This Week's Craving's" (every week it's a different category), hosted by Tina, from 'Mom's Crazy Cooking' (http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com) with the help of two blogging friends.
 
and then Next Week,  I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:
~ "Melt in Your Mouth Monday('s)", hosted by Jane Doiron, at 'Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms .. and other delicious recipes!' (http://www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com)
~
"Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Market Yourself Monday", are hosted by Sumo, at 'Sumo's Sweet Stuff' (http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/)
~ "Delectable Tuesday('s)", hosted by Stephani, at 'Home Sweet Farm' (http://www.ourjourneytoasimplerlife.blogspot.com/)
~ "Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits", hosted by Susan, at 'Permanent Posies - Creative Chaos' (http://permanentposies.com/)
 
~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Tuesdays at the Table", are hosted by Cole, at 'All The Small Stuff' (http://allthesmallstuff-cole.blogspot.com/).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "Tasty Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Jennifer, at "Balancing Beauty and Bedlam" (http://www.beautyandbedlam.com/)
~ "Foodie Wednesday('s)", hosted by Bibi, at 'Daily Organized Chaos' (there is nothing wrong with living with chaos as long as it's organized)  (http://www.dailyorganizedchaos.com) 
~ "Whatever Goes Wednesday('s), hosted by Michelle, at 'Someday Crafts' (http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/)
~ "Recipe Swap Thursday('s)", hosted by Alison, at 'Prairie Story' (http://www.prairiestory.com/) 
~ "Full Plate Thursday('s), hosted by Miz Helen, at 'Miz Helen's Country Cottage' (http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/)
~ "Sweet Tooth Friday('s)", hosted by Alli, at 'Alli 'n Son' (Parenting and Life with a side of Chocolate) (http://alli-n-son.com/) 
~ "Foodie Friday('s)", are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum' (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)

15 comments:

  1. I LOVE cooking/baking pictures! There's just something so charming about work-in-progress food...I can't explain it! But I love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these cookies were so delicious! benson brought the leftovers to thursday night's small group and they were so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. came via email - "While reading these postings about chocolate, I had a song going threw my head "Yeild not to temptation for yielding is sin, each victory will help you some other to win; (I just know that you will love this next part) Fight manfully onward, dark passions(chocolate) subdue, look ever to Jesus, He'll carry you trough.
    Sorry just had to share. Love ya Maxine"

    and I replied - "So... I then interpret that to mean that the next time I am tempted to bake you something choc. I shouldn't. Did I understand correctly? o:-p"

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy! Right now I have oatmeal cookies, chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodle cookies all baked up and frozen and awaiting me in my freezer.

    Yesterday I was in the mood for oatmeal and grabbed one out and ate it!

    Sometimes it's nice when you have unexpected company and need a dessert! I'll have to try your recipe and pop 'em in the freezer so I don't eat 'em all!

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing about "old" recipes! I love the step by step pictures as well! Can't wait to try these - they look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey....I am so glad you linked up with Permanent Posies....Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits. I am slow getting around to reading but once I did...I wanted a cookies RIGHT NOW! You temptress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made these cookies, and they are always a huge hit. I should make them again soon.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really great cookie recipe. I really wish I have one or maybe two to go with my coffee right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about chocolate chips and M&Ms? What a great recipe.

    Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely recipes and I love them all. I am your new follower..saw yours through blog hop. I am Marelie@ www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy cookies...now, you've got me craving for some!

    I'm hosting a wonderful tea sampler GIVEAWAY! Come check it out when you have time.

    http://utry.it/2011/04/two-leaves-and-bud-tea-company-product.html

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the photos. Sometimes I remember to take photos and sometimes I don't. Then right before we eat I scream, "Hold it!" Must take a photo! haha Thanks for linking up with these awesome looking cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maxine wrote back again via email - "If you are yielding to temptation, it is wrong, but if you are doing it for yours and others enjoyment then that is a whole new ballgame."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried making the cookies with m&m's before and they got messed up. Tell me you secret! Also I started a link party come and link up. I would love to have you @ goobyecityhellosuburbs Workshop Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]