We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Monday, May 24, 2010

backing up a trailer

      Brent is planning on buying a pop up trailer. Yes, he's going into the Navy, but it could be awhile before he actually leaves. Brian is planning on letting him store it here for use-age fees ;-p
     The other day we were talking about camping in our old pop up, and the story about me backing it up 'that one time' came up. Seeings how on Monday's I usually try to post some type of 'hopefully useful tip', I decided to share that story since it does contain information some of you might find ever so useful ;-}
     Then I remembered that I had told the story one time to Heidi from the blog 'The Milkman's Wife', so I went there and copied it, then posted it here (time efficient <-- bonus tip for ya all right there o;-p).
     "Hey Heidi - your comments about "backing up" reminded me of something I thought I'd share -
     We had a 3/4 ton, full block engine, suburban {insert the 'Tim the Tool Man' noise here ;-p} Which I absolutely loved, and a full sized, hard sided, crank up camper. The camper was the same length as the suburban.
     Sometimes "the boys" and I would head out to a relatively nearby campground on Friday, and Brian would join us there when he got done catering on Sat. {we only did this when he wasn't scheduled for a late evening Sat. job}.
      The memory that came to mind was about one of those camping trips. I had pulled into the campground and registered, then drove around their campground to spot exactly which site was to be ours for the weekend. But then I drove the loop again, thinking over exactly where I wanted to park our camper, etc..
      As I again approached our site, I stopped and let my four and a nephew get out, with instructions they were to "go sit on the picnic table - and STAY THERE!!". Sometimes I needed full concentration to back that up, and their added in-put / advice seldom helps start the weekend on a good note (if ya get what I mean).
     I pulled all the way forward, stopped, and with my eyes closed, was talking myself through what I needed to do. "Okay, if you want the trailer to turn left, you need to turn the truck right ..." When I felt confident, I opened my eyes and about jumped out of my skin!! There was a man standing next to my open window, grinning broadly at me. Yikes!! He said, "I came over to help. I saw you drive on through and then back again, saw you make all the boys get out, thought maybe you needed help, but sounds like you'll do just fine. If you do need help, I'll be on the picnic table like a good boy!"
     Oh my gosh. I was so-o embarrassed. He patted me on the shoulder and said, "You're doing great mom!" and strolled away - to the picnic table.
      I backed the trailer in and only had to adjust it once :-} See, I wasn't just backing it straight into the spot. The first time through I had noticed that this particular spot actually had a beach to it, so I had decided to park the trailer parallel with the road, with the front facing the lake - that way, with five young boys, it didn't matter if the door was closed right when they were getting dressed, a-n-d I would be able to sit under the awning while watching them play in the water. :-D
     After I had gotten it parked and climbed out of "the truck", I learned that I had really been being watched. Five other guys had also come over meaning to help, but had stood back by a different trailer when unbeknowest to me, the guy at my window had waved them back with his hand.
    When Brian got there (in his tux serving outfit - while all of us looked totally frumpy by that point {but man did he look "hot" wink, wink}), ALL of those men wandered over to congratulate him on having such a cape-able wife. chuckle, chuckle."

    - - yes, like I've shared before, I often do leave long comments. And no, the blog owners don't mind. In-fact, some of them have commented back about really enjoying them. 0:-)


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:

~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).

3 comments:

  1. BEFORE you buy, download this list. It reveals essential insider secrets that you MUST know to feel really confident when you buy a camper trailer.

    Unfortunately, some manufacturers don't want you to have this information. for more info visit http://vacationcampers.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would be scared to death to even pull our trailer, let alone park it! You did awesome. We have a pop up tent trailer. It has a queen size bed for us, a full side bed on the other side, and the dining table becomes a bed.

    We actually have not used it in years, though. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate had sent via email - "That is a SKILL right there. :) Bet you can drive a manual, too!"

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]