We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Monday, October 31, 2011

Yum-A-Setta

   I decided to double check and see if I had ever posted this recipe, the other day when I was in the midst of making up a huge batch of it. I was so surprised to find I hadn't. Ever so surprised. Because I have made it h-o-w many times?! The reason I was making up a huge batch of it, was because I was following the house rules. If I make something to take to somebody, I'm also suppose to make one of what ever it is for here at home.
   I have made and taken this particular meal to so-o-o many people over the years. Most likely, if I'm only bringing you one meal, this is what you will be getting. Why this one? Because 98% of people that eat it, like it. HONEST! Mom's will tell me they have a couple of picky eaters, and yet they ask for more of this dish. Elderly people have told me, "it's basically such a simple dish, yet it's so good!"  Therefore, according to and because of, I highly recommend that you try this recipe out on your own family, and then make it again the next time your taking a meal in to somebody ;-).

   First - start your hamburg, finely chopped onions and the *brown sugar to browning, in a highly greased pan.
   *just a good sprinkling of the brown sugar will suffice.     This time, I used 5 lbs of hamburg and 2 men's fist sized onions

   Second - start your pan of water to heating for cooking your egg noodles. BONUS TIP HERE --> Spray some of your pan coating spray onto the water before it reaches the boiling point. Doing so helps keep the noodles from sticking together ;-> Second bonus tip - putting a lid on the pan DOES help the water to reach the boiling point faster.
     
   While your waiting for the water to come to a boil, work at breaking the browning hamburg up into tiny little bits.
   Once your water reaches the boiling stage (really boiling), dump in your egg noodles.
   Keep working away at the hamburg mixture.
   Your noodles are ready, when you can just almost slice one (pull one out on a wooden spoon, and don't hold it over the steam of the pan while testing the noodle 8-/) with a finger nail. Remember, they will cook further when you heat the casserole all together, so you don't want them too soft yet.
    Dump the noodles into a strainer in your sink. Don't rinse them. Spray the inside of the pan they came out of with pan coating spray. Wait a couple of minutes, and then dump the noodles back into the pan.
    Mix the undiluted Cream of Chicken Soup in with the cooked noodles.

    Once the hamburg mixture has cooked to the point that all of the liquid has vaporized and the onions have turned clear in color, turn off the heat. Then, mix the can of undiluted Tomato Soup in with the meat mixture.

   Thickly spread the meat in the bottom of a well greased 9 x 13 pan (or *whatever size works best for the amount of meat and noodles you cooked up).
    *This time I used two 10 x 14 pans.

   Top the meat with slices of Velvetta cheese. Note, they do not have to completely touch one another, because the cheese will spread as it melts.

   Spread the noodle mixture out on top of the cheese.
  Assembly process completed
 
  If you plan on serving it for dinner in an hour - Cover it with foil and stick it straight in the oven at 350o.

  If however you plan on having it the next day or later, and/or taking it to somebody, first cover the pans with plastic wrap, then top that with foil and stick them in your fridge or a cold cooler.
   When your ready to eat it, you can warm the whole pan up in a 350o oven for 45 minutes, or heat it by the serving size in your microwave.

    Yum-A-Setta is wonderful when paired with Applesauce, Cottage Cheese and Corn!!
   And for dessert - Oatmeal Carmelitas (thus the jars of Carmel Ice Cream topping in the background o;->)

 And now for the actual recipe -
       Yum-A-Setta
          is a Amish recipe I clipped out of some magazine y-ea-r-s ago.

   2 lbs hamburg
   salt and pepper to taste (I don't think it needs either)
   a little brown sugar
   1/4 onion, chopped (I use a whole onion)
   1 can tomato soup, undiluted
   1 8oz. pkg. Velveeta(R)
   1 - 16 oz. pkg. egg noodles
   1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted

   Brown hamburg with salt, pepper, brown sugar and onions. Add tomato soup.

   Cook egg noodles. Drain. Add cream of chicken soup.

   Layer hamburg mixture and noodle mixture in casserole dish or baking pan, with slices of Velvetta cheese in between them.
   Bake at 350o for 1/2 an hour.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:

  ~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven'  (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
  ~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)'  (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
  ~  "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes'  (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
 ~ "Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits", hosted by Susan, at 'Permanent Posies / Creative Chaos' (http://permanentposies.com/)
 ~ "Totally Tasty Tuesdays", are hosted by Mandy, at 'Mandy's Recipe Box' (http://www.mandysrecipebox.blogspot.com/).
  ~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace'  (http://www.blessedwithgrace.net/).
   ~ "Foodie Wednesday('s)", are hosted by Bibi, at 'Daily Organized Chaos' (http://www.dailyorganizedchaos.com/). 
   ~ "These Chicks Cooked Link Party",
hosted by Katie L, at 'This Chick Cooks' (http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com)

 ~ "Full Plate Thursday('s)", are hosted by Miz Helen, at 'Miz Helen's Country Cottage' (http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/).  
~ "Foodie Friday('s)" (shall we say # 1?), are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum'  (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)

14 comments:

  1. had come from Julie E. - "Cheryl, thank you so much for the wonderful meal! – you absaposalutely have to give me the recipe for the noodle dish."

    and from her daughter Jordan - "Yummo!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. came from "my" Kate via email - "OH MY GOSH YUM-A-SETTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Must make this ASAP. If I want to freeze Kate-size portions, do I do that before or after I bake it? :)

    SO EXCITED!!!! :D"

    my reply - "before. Let it sit in the fridge overnight first though before cutting it up and freezing it. Only because it will help everything 'set'."

    ReplyDelete
  3. came from Pam R. via email - "i just fixed yumsetta tonight... and i can testify that it is yummy! thanks so much for sharing it with us!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! That sounds so delicious! I like your noodle tips too. :) Thanks so much, Cheryl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name, lol! I am always interested in casseroles because I love having leftovers and they are budget friendly too.

    I've made several meals (including a couple of different casseroles) for my oldest to take back to college with him. I freeze them in individual portions and then we pack them in a cooler with ice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooops, thank for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...I was checking all my links to see who had the most hits and yours did. After reading it and rereading it, I see why. So, you don't mix your noodles into the meat....but just put them on top? I guess the soup keeps them from drying out? Don't you love to have an easy go to recipe to take to people? Can't wait to try it. I will feature you this week. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great Casserole, it looks like it has lots of comfort and flavor! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im pregnant, this post is torturing me! I need to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to do this ahead of time to serve at Christmas when I will be too busy to cook. Does it freeze OK?
    thanks
    tonilea
    jiffy1212@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tonilea,
    Yes, it freezes fine. Prep. it up to the point of baking it, put plastic wrap over the top, then foil and freeze. Thaw completely before baking.

    Cheryl B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just made this last night, had never hear of it, but it was AHMAZING! Thanks for sharing!! I did not have tomato soup so just added ketchup, mustard, and bbq sauce like I was making sloppy joes, it was still very good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI...What size can of cream soup?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous - I just think of them as the "normal" size. To me, there is the "normal" size, the "medium" sized (usually soups with "stuff" in them), the "large" size and the "institutional" sized. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]