We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Party foods #12 - Shrimp Dip

    The year before Brian and I were married, my family went up to Sutton's Bay, Michigan on vacation. (A beautiful area!!). My parents had rented a cabin and is often the case, we became 'friends' with the people staying in a nearby cabin. At one point, we were getting together and of course we were going to eat. Seeings how I had my own 'wheels' (a red 1976 Buick Skyhawk), I was sent into town to pick up a few ingredients (a task I enjoyed doing!! o;-p) The list given to me by the lady from the neighboring cottage, included canned shrimp. I was happy to pick it up, just had plans on not eating even a bite of the stuff!
   See, I do NOT like any type of "sea food". Not fresh. Not canned. Not frozen. I do not like it 'Sam I am!!' ;-p  My husband does. Most of my close girl friends do. But I do not!
   At least usually. There have been two exceptions. One of them being the Shrimp dip. Figures, eh?
   The irony is, I also as a rule do not care for Triscuit (R) crackers. Which is what the lady served the shrimp dip with. But somehow, some way, which I have yet to figure out, the combination of the two was great!!! To the point that I always wished I had gotten the recipe from her!
    Then one time (s-e-v-r-a-l years ago now), as I was browsing through my sisters copy of a little cookbook made up by Better Homes and Gardens Realtors, There was the recipe! I knew it was the same, because I clearly remembered what all (or at lest the main ingredients) the lady had put in hers.
    The first time I made it for Brian, he was quite amazed I liked it, due to how often he had tried to get me to like "sea food" products. Maybe I like it because the shrimp is diced up very fine and thus blend ever so much better with the other ingredients. I still do not know 'the why' for sure.

     Like I've mentioned the last two days, this week I am doing the postings about the snackie foods we made for Christmas, due to how how next weekend is New Years and lots of people either attend parties which they are suppose to take "snackie foods" to, or, they make that type of foods to eat while watching the football game on New Years Day. The foods we made were: Fresh Vegetable Pizza, Bacon Cheese Ball, Spinach dip with Pumpernickel, Shrimp Dip, "Italian" Meatballs in Parmesan Sauce and Sausage Dip.
    Today I am posting the recipe for the Shrimp Dip. At the bottom of this posting, you will find links to the other "party type foods" I have previously posted about. You'll have to come back and visit us again, to find the recipes for the other items. ;->

     First step is to soften even further, your room temp cream cheese. Short stints in the microwave work great for this! ( <-- BONUS TIP there)
     Get it nice and smooth.
     Blend in the mayo.
     Add the finely chopped celery.
     The finely chopped onions.
       (we were making a double recipe)

    The miniature shrimp, diced small
       [we used frozen shrimp, thawed and drained]
        (I always dice it much smaller than this! But Brian did the dicing, and when he asked me if it was chopped down enough, I said sure, seeings how I knew that would make me leave more of it for him o;->)

     Add the lemon juice
     Blend everything together thourally and chill.

    And now for the actual recipe -
          Shrimp Dip
              from the lady at the rented cabins, as well as the BH&G Realtors Cookbook

    8 oz. of Cream Cheese
    1/2 cup Mayo
    1/2 cup finely diced Celery
    2 Tablespoons dried onion
          - OR - 1/4 cup fresh onion, chopped very fine
    1 can miniature shrimp, drained, and chopped small
         - OR - frozen shrimp, thawed, drained, and finely chopped
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

    Get your cream cheese good and soft, and 'blend' it till smooth. Blend in the mayo, then the diced celery, the onion, the chopped shrimp and the lemon juice.
     Chill!
    Serve with crackers, especially the Triscuit ones.  ;->

~ ~ ;-> ~ ~ ;-> ~ ~ ;-> ~ ~ ;-> ~ ~ ;-> ~ ~ ;-> ~ ~ ;-> ~ ~ ;->
You might also enjoy these postings:

~ "Party Foods" -
   - #1 - Bean Salsa (also known as "Rugby dip")
   - #2 - 'Polish roses' and Pickle Wraps
   - #3 - Garden Fresh Bruschette
   - #4 - Deviled Eggs
   - #5 - Chocolate Covered Strawberries
   - #6 - Improvised Chili Based Dip Recipe 
   - #7 - Bacon Cheese Ball
   - #8 - My version of Fruit Pizzas
   - #9 - Brownie Cups
   - #10 - My version of Veggie Pizza
   - #11 - My rendition of Spinach Dip


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:

 ~ "Full Plate Thursday('s)", are hosted by Miz Helen, at 'Miz Helen's Country Cottage' (http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/).  
  ~ "Foodie Friday('s)", are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum' (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)     

  ~ "Simply Delish Sunday('s)", are hosted by KB and Whitesnakes, at 'KB and Whitesnakes Home' (http://kbandwhitesnakeshome.blogspot.com)
  ~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven'  (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
  ~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)'  (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
  ~  "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes'  (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
 ~ "Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits", hosted by Susan, at 'Permanent Posies / Creative Chaos' (http://permanentposies.com/)
 ~ "Totally Tasty Tuesdays", are hosted by Mandy, at 'Mandy's Recipe Box' (http://www.mandysrecipebox.blogspot.com/).
  ~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace'  (http://www.blessedwithgrace.net/).

    ~ "Foodie Wednesday('s)", are hosted by Bibi, at 'Daily Organized Chaos' (http://www.dailyorganizedchaos.com/). 
   ~ "These Chicks Cooked Link Party",
hosted by Katie L, at 'This Chick Cooks' (http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com)

  

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking that maybe this may be my favorite, because I truly do love that shrimp! It looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Happy New Year to you and your family and Abundant Blessings in 2012!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]