We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Party Foods # 1

     While Kate and I were making up the foods that we took to Analys'e B-day party (yes, she came back the day we were leaving for the party and helped me make up the food too. Isn't she GREAT?!!! She said it was so-o worth it since she got to take some of everything home with her .. ;-0), I got to thinking that I should post each of them too... then I thought I should start another series, this one featuring that type of foods. But what should I call it? Started toying with a whole bunch of different names, and ended up with the ever so unoriginal one of "Party Foods".
     Why? Well I had thought about calling it 'foods for parties on the deck', but they work just as well for serving mid-January for Super Bowl Parties. I thought about dubbing them 'Informal Party Foods', but we had served some of them at a very classy finger foods wedding reception. So we are just going with the all inclusive title of "party foods".
    This particular series of 'party foods' will mainly be featuring the finger food type of foods.

    For the record, NO, starting this new series does NOT mean that we are done with the entries in the 'Warm Weather Desserts' series!!! In-fact, I am really looking forward to using blogging as an excuse to make some of the yet to come features. o;-p

    In my recipe box, this recipe states that the recipe came from Rachel Nicks. Rachel was a fellow Rugby mom, and had brought this dip to the end of the year party one season. For awhile, we referred to this recipe as 'the rugby dip'. ;-p
            Today's feature: Party Foods # 1
            Bean 'Salsa'

     (about the picture, I hadn't taken a picture of the dip right after we made it... well... to be honest, because I didn't want the extremely bad mess we had made, showing in the pictures. Since then I have been re-shown how to use the zoom in feature of our camera (yes, I had been shown before ... hadn't remembered ... 8-/), so this picture was taken part way through the party, after lots of it had already been eaten, when it again dawned on me that I had wanted pictures of the food ... yeah. Then again, we had made a double recipe ...)
     1 can black beans - drained and rinsed!
     1 can great northern beans, drained, not rinsed
     1 can sweet CRISP corn, drained only
     2 bunch's green onions
     1 cup chopped red onion
     1/2 cup chopped regular yellow onion
     1/2 cup canola oil
     1/2 cup rice vinegar
     1/3 cup sugar

     In a sauce pan, bring to boil the oil, vinegar and sugar, while whisking. Boil and whisk for two (2) minutes.
    While it cools, open and drain beans and corn (remembering to also rinse the black beans!) and combine in a bowl
    Then cut/chop up the onions, using all of the green onions. Add onions to the bean/corn mixture and mix well.
    When cool, add the oil, vinegar, sugar mixture and mix very well.
     It works great to serve this with the dipping style of nacho chips!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:

~ "Foodie Friday('s)", are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum' (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)

~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Market Yourself Monday", are hosted by Sumo, at 'Sumo's Sweet Stuff' (http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/)

~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Tuesdays at the Table", are hosted by Cole, at 'All The Small Stuff' (http://allthesmallstuff-cole.blogspot.com/).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "Tasty Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Jennifer, at "Balancing Beauty and Bedlam" (http://www.beautyandbedlam.com/)

~ "Whatever Goes Wednesday('s), hosted by Michelle, at 'Someday Crafts'
(http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/)

~ "Make it from Scratch", are held at 'Make it from Scratch ... Where creativity and frugality intersect'. (http://makeitfromscratch.blogspot.com/)

4 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! What is it about summer time that makes me crave the sweet tang of salsa? Is Crisp corn a brand name - or do I need to look for a certain kind of corn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I almost always forget to take a picture until afterward. I used to be so good about getting pictures but now I just forget! Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love oil, vinegar and sugar together on all sorts of things - cant wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. came via email on June 8th -
    "I just had deviled egg filling on crackers and bruschetta on taco chips and CUPCAKES for lunch and oh. my. GOSH. Best lunch I've had in forever. I saved the bean salsa for lunch tomorrow. :)

    I'm hoping you had a WONDERFUL time this weekend. :) I know for sure that B1 and Cyndi (and Analyse too!) definitely appreciated you making all the food, and I can't wait to hear about their reaction to the quilt. :) I hope you felt well mostly all weekend!

    Hugs,
    Kate"

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]