We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

warm weather dessert # 4

     As I had mentioned in the other warm weather dessert postings, in warm weather we start wanting different kinds of desserts. Today, I am posting recipe # 4 in the series I had started. This series features a few desserts that we are not limited to making only in warm weather months, but that is when we usually enjoy them much more.

       Today's feature: warm weather dessert # 4:
       Graham Crackers With Icing

     Okay, so many of us think of this as a treat for kids. But I happen to know a full grown man, whom to this day still dubs this his all time favorite dessert! Seriously!! (For those of you who might know him, his name is John, and he is the son of a farm family that attended our church ...).
     The graham crackers and icing that I featured in the picture, were made by using leftover frosting's from our grand daughter's birthday cakes. And using leftover frosting's to make them is often the methodology people use. However, I have been know to make up frosting solely for the purpose of making graham crackers and frosting. o;-p There's just something about them ...

     While I have seen numerous postings about making your own graham crackers, I have always just bought them. However, if you would like trying your hand at making your own, I'd suggest you do a google search for "homemade graham crackers" and compare what you find, till you hit on one that strikes your fancy.

     The graham crackers with the chocolate frosting in the middle in the picture, were this recipe of chocolate frosting:
     Chocolate Butter(+)cream Frosting
         made up years ago by Cheryl B. (me)
     6 Tablespoons butter, room temp.
     3 Tablespoons cream cheese, room temp.
     (I will admit here that sometimes I cheat and add as much of the cream cheese as I do the butter .... I did for my grand daughter's birthday o;-) )
     3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
     2 2/3 cups Confectioner's sugar
     1/3 cup canned milk
     1 teaspoon vanilla extract

     With a wooden spoon, cream together the butter and cream cheese; add cocoa. Alternately add conf. sugar and milk. Beat, mixing well. Blend in vanilla. Mix again. Do a taste test and lick your fingers o;-p Ummmm ......

     The graham crackers with the pink frosting in the middle in the picture, were this recipe of Butter(+)cream frosting:
       Butter(+)cream Frosting
         made up years ago by Cheryl B. (me)
       6 Tablespoons butter, room temp.
       3 Tablespoons cream cheese, room temp.
       (I will admit here that sometimes I cheat and add as much of the cream cheese as I do the butter .... I did for my grand daughter's birthday o;-) )
       3 cups Confectioner's sugar
       1/3 cup canned milk
       1 teaspoon food coloring*
       1 teaspoon artificial flavoring* (or you can add vanilla extract)

     With a wooden spoon, cream together the butter and cream cheese. Alternately add conf. sugar and milk. Beat, mixing well. Blend in food coloring and flavoring - or - vanilla. Mix again. Do a taste test and lick your fingers o;-p Ummmm ......

     * Instead of using food colorings and artificial flavorings, you can use real fruit, which will in turn color the frosting.
       - For pink colored frosting, use fresh strawberries. Finely cut up the strawberries and spread the pieces out on a folded paper towel. Let sit for about five minutes. Then using the tip of a knife or a toothpick**, flip the pieces of the strawberry into the frosting bowl.
      - For redder frosting, use the same method on fresh cherries.
      - For blue frosting, use blue berries.
      - For the 4th of July, make some up with red frosting, some with plain white frosting (don't add the vanilla!), and some with blue frosting. :-}
      - And the color options go on by the type of fruits you select ;-)

** for additional uses for toothpicks, check out this posting.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
You might also enjoy these postings:

~ warm weather dessert # 1: NO BAKE CHEESECAKE

~ warm weather dessert # 2: (No Bake) Banana Split Dessert

~ warm weather dessert # 3: Rice Krispie Treats / "The Thick Soft Type"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:
~ "Foodie Friday('s)", are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum' (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)
~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Market Yourself Monday", are hosted by Sumo, at 'Sumo's Sweet Stuff' (http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/)
~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Tuesdays at the Table", are hosted by Cole, at 'All The Small Stuff' (http://allthesmallstuff-cole.blogspot.com/).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "Tasty Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Jennifer, at "Balancing Beauty and Bedlam" (http://www.beautyandbedlam.com/)

6 comments:

  1. We've done these too but with Cool whip! :)
    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy. My mom used to make them when I was a little girl. She'd bake a cake and then make these to use up the leftover frosting.

    I made them for my own kids when they were little. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make these all the time, but I have never tried making my own crackers. The joy in them for me is that they are a quick fix for a sweet tooth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to do that for tea parties. I prefer peanut butter now or cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've even had these with canned frosting, and they were yummy. I imagine that they're much better with homemade frosting!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what I eat when I am stressed! I make mocha frosting graham treats. Here is my medicinal mocha frosting recipe:

    6 T brewed coffee
    6 T butter, softened
    6 T unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 t vanilla
    4 C powdered sugar

    Blend all ingredients until smooth. Too moist? add more sugar, too dry? add more coffee, too sweet? add a pinch of salt. Can be used to frost a 2 layer cake, makes lots of graham cracker sandwiches, or if you're really feeling bad eat directly from the bowl by the spoonful! :D

    I hope you are feeling better soon! Now I am off to check out the rest of your warm weather desserts.

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]