We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Christmas Gift from My Husband :-}

     Okay, right off the bat, let's clear things up. Yes, I am doing a posting about what my husband gave me for Christmas last December. Yes, I fully realize that it is now mid June. No, I am not trying to rush 'the season'. Yes, I am aware that some stores start stocking their Christmas stuff in mid June. Wish they wouldn't!! To tell the whole truth, I actually helped pick my gift out and bring it home quite a bit before last Christmas ... So why am I just now telling all of you about it? 'Lucy' will 'splain o;-)
     But first, this message (;-p) chuckle, chuckle!!! First, I need to tell you what the gift is/was - which word is appropriate here? A new sewing machine!!:-D!!:-)!! "Yes Bob, behind door number one, is a Singer / Confidence model 7467 sewing machine! This fine machine features 70, yes 70, built-in stitches, 6 of which have direct stitch button selection. That means Bob, that for six of the stitches, all you have to do to change from your regular straight stitching to that style stitches, is push one of the six little buttons, which by the way Bob, the buttons display a sample of their style of stitching right on them, and the machine will automatically switch from the straight stitch to whichever style you selected. An added feature on this particular machine Bob, is that for the rest of the seventy available stitch styles, there is a built in, easily accessible guide which pulls out from underneath the front of this fine machine and shows you a sample of the style of stitching and it's coordinating code which you then enter into the machine via the handy little up and down buttons located on the front of the machine, right next to the digital stitch number display screen."
    "But Bob, that's not all! This fine sewing machine also features 2 stay bright LED lights, has a drop and sew bobbin system, an automatic needle threader, and 3 one-step buttonholes."
    "This fine machine is Cheryl's Bob, all because the price was right for what her husband had been saving towards." ;-p
     Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle!


    Yes, my husband had been saving towards it. For several years actually. But every time he thought he might actually be able to get one for me, life happened and there went that money. He explains his saving method as 'skimming off the top'. When he'd get his 'church checks' (from doing janitorial work for the church) he'd take some cash out before depositing the balance and slip it into his secret spot. The church has since switched to automatic deposits and he informed the responsible person that he would have to answer to me next Christmas, as to why he hadn't been able to 'skim' money and get me a gift. ;-p!
    I have had a couple of different used machines before. The last one had gotten to the point where sometimes it would stitch along just fine, and then for no apparent reason it would start majorly messing up along the back of the material. Tried cleaning it. Couldn't figure it out. So finally we took it in. The report came back that it had a cracked head. Yikes! And that due to the age of the machine, finding a new part was both challenging and expensive. Drats!
    When I told Elizabeth B. about it, she recommended that we get a second opinion at this other shop. Same verdict. But he said they wouldn't charge us for the 'check see' if we bought a new machine from them. Yeah right, I thought. But to be polite I let him start showing me some different machines. Oh my goodness do they have some 'fancy dancy' (as my dad would phrase it) machines now-a-days! Impressive! But so were their price tags. Yikes!
    Then my husband spoke up stating that he only had this much saved towards it. My eyes bugged!!! I started saying that I didn't really expect him to buy me a new machine .... and he told me to follow the nice man and pick out a machine in that price range. WOW!!

     Now, as to why I haven't told you about it before this. See, the thing is, part of the basement project included making a small area for me to 'craft' in. The project isn't that far yet. Which also means the dining room isn't emptied yet. Which also means .... so I hadn't actually opened the box yet. I had 'planned to' shortly after Christmas. But then there were the funerals, and the vertigo hit ... life!
    So even though all of that is not yet done, what made me go ahead and open the box and use my wonderful new sewing machine? You'll see the answer to that question in a posting this coming weekend ;-} o/~ "An-tic-i-pation ... I'm keeping you wait-ait-ait-ing .... "o/~ ;-p



[yes, I'm a bit fiesty this morning. Last night I went from just feeling dizzy to actually feeling like I'm spinning again. I started tackling something yesterday ... I am being 'fiesty/silly' in attempt to stay positive!]

1 comment:

  1. came via email -"I'll betcha something for that new grand daughter of yours is what made you open that box!!!! Jill R."

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]