We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Plan B - Cakes

    Originally when I had asked my sister if it would be okay if I signed up to bring all of the desserts for my side of the families Christmas get-together, I had a particular idea in mind. I was going to bake up a pretty variety of Christmas cookies and arrange them on her dining room table on two of our movable display stands. I was thinking on using the ones that hold four plates each, and arrange them around two pedestal candy dishes. One holding Christmas colored peanut M+M's, the other regular M+M's. I was also going to put some candles on the table.
   But then... why does it seem that there is ALWAYS a "but then"?!?!!!???
   But then I decided that I just could not stand the condition of certain parts of this house any longer. PERIOD! So with Benson and Brandon's assistance, I started attacking. But due to still being 'Ms. Vertigo girl', there was no way what-so-ever I could pull off both. Yes, in the past I could have.
   Great in-roads were made on the house. But the cookie idea needed set aside. Humm mmm what to do instead? I had made pies at Thanksgiving. And I know that my one sister-in-laws side of the family does this group massive Christmas cookie baking day, so just going out and buying cookies wouldn't suffice. Brownies and bars? Nope. Cakes. And do them up fancy like.
    I chose three favorite cake recipes (the same three I had made for Byron and Cyndi's wedding actually).

    Here is a picture of them on display in my sister's dining room.

   Today, I am going to be zooming in on the Carrot Cake.


    Some number of years ago now, I found this recipe amongst those in my recipe file, but wasn't sure I had ever made it. So I did. And then I gave some to my brother Bryan, my friend Robin P. and my son Byron, all whom I know LOVE a good carrot cake. To a one, them called and informed me that it was most definitely a "keeper" recipe. One that I was to make often and always share with them! ;-p
   As you know, I like to give credit where credit is due, but I have absolutely no idea where I got this one from. So I can't. :-[

   Carrot Cake:
2 Cups Sugar
4 Eggs
2 Tablespoons Vanilla
1 1/2 Cups Cooking Oil
3 Cups Shredded Carrots *
2 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Chopped Nuts (optional)

* I have found that using beginners baby food carrots, makes for a much moister, less stringy cake. It takes six (6) of the little glass jars of baby food carrots to equal 3 Cups of Carrots. If you like the strings of carrots in your finished product. Then finely shred one whole carrot and add it as well as the six (6) jars of baby food carrots. It then becomes moist and carroty! :-)

    In a large bowl, mix ingredients together in order given using a mixing spoon.
    Mixed batter can either be spread into two round layer cake pans (which of course have been sprayed with pan coating spray) - or - one 9 x 13 sprayed pan.

    Bake at 375 degrees
       30 to 35 minutes for round pans
       45 minutes for 9 x 13 pan

  Test for doneness with a toothpick.

    Let round cake pans cool for five minutes on wire racks, then remove cakes from pans and finish cooling on wire rack.

    Frosting:
1 box powdered sugar (a pound bag)
1 stick oleo ( 1 stick butter)
6 oz. cream cheese (yum!)
small amount of milk if needed

beat together till smooth.

A small amount of chopped nuts can be sprinkled on top as garnish if desired.
OR, you can use candy corn as a garnish like we did ;-)

     (this picture was taken several days later, when the cake didn't look as fresh. sorry!)

:-)  -  :-)  -  :-)  -  :-)  -  :-)  -  :-)  
you might also enjoy this posting -
Ice Cream Pies


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:
~ "(Foodie Friday's)", are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum' (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)
~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Market Yourself Monday", are hosted by Sumo, at 'Sumo's Sweet Stuff' (http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/)
~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Tuesdays at the Table", are hosted by Cole, at 'All The Small Stuff' (http://allthesmallstuff-cole.blogspot.com/).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "Tasty Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Jennifer, at "Balancing Beauty and Bedlam" (http://www.beautyandbedlam.com/)
~ "Topsy Turvy Tuesday's", are hosted by Ashlee, at 'I'm Topsy Turvy' (http://imtopsyturvy.com/)
~ "Whatever Goes Wednesday('s), hosted by Michelle, at 'Someday Crafts'
(http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/)

4 comments:

  1. came vai email - "cheryl, thanks for the recipe, sounds yummy!!! do you use the whole 8 oz cream cheese or only 6 oz of it?

    becky"

    response sent - "If I'm cutting some off of a big block of cream cheese like I get at GFS, then about 6 oz. It I've picked some up at Meijer's, then I use the whole 8 oz block. Let me know how yours turns out! :-)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Carrot Cake looks great. I would love for you to bring it to Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just lovely. I use my MIL's recipe and it is similar. Loved how the cakes made the table look so decadent. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!!! I love doing dessert for the family gatherings, but then it always seems that life get's CRAZY just before the day and it comes down to the same old same old quick and easy desserts every time. It looks lovely. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]