We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

For a Cold Winter's Night ;-)

    Last Summer we started a series that we dubbed "Warm Weather Desserts". Yes, "started". Because yes, we do plan on adding more recipes to that series starting in a couple of months. You know, when our local weather man isn't frequently talking about "wind chill factors", or yet again announcing that we are under "severe winter storm warnings".
   There are literally trillions of desserts which work great for cold weather desserts due to how you need to run your oven to make them. The bigger of a batch of cookies you bake, the longer your oven is helping heat the house (besides the 'warm fuzzies' that you feel from the smells coming out of said oven ;->).
    My family (as in my side of Brian and my families) use to make this one winter time dessert that I really, really, really like. And so, I continue to make it occasionally. (I started to write "I continue to make it upon occasion". - The occasion being when I have a craving for it. o;-p) This past week held just such an 'occasion'.
    The dessert? Home made chocolate pudding that you serve while still very warm. That's good! But then we take it one step further. We put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Your challenge then, is to see if you can eat all of it before the ice cream finishes melting. Why? Just for the fun of it. And no cheating only eating the scoop of ice cream! Besides, if you do that, your missing out on the wonderful tastes that eating the pudding and the ice cream together produces. Wonderful indeed!!! (I think that perhaps my one bowl full didn't quench my craving far enough o;-p)


    [ For the record - Yes, this wonderful, smooth chocolate pudding CAN be made up during the warm weather months, scooped into bowls, cooled all of the way and then refrigerated to be served as a warm weather dessert. But that then does involve standing over a hot stove top for awhile. Sometimes your just wiling to do that!]

    This recipe came from Bisquick (TM). And seeings how my family use to make it back before I was married, and I've now been married over thirty (30) years ... the recipe has been out for awhile. ;-)

   Chocolate Pudding:
   1/2 Cup (regular) Bisquick(TM)
   3/4 Cup Sugar
   1/3 Cup cocoa
   1 Cup Water
   2 Cups (whole) Milk

   ~ Combine baking mix, sugar and cocoa in large saucepan. Gradually stir in water and milk.
   ~ Cook, stirring constantly over medium high heat until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
   ~ In cold weather, cool a little, stirring a couple of times. Spoon into bowls and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
   ~ In warm weather, cool, stirring occasionally. Spoon into serving dishes and refrigerate. Looks cute garnished with a dollop of whip cream, topped by a single chocolate chip.

   This recipe serves three people a decent sized bowl of pudding. If the people are quite young in age - it serves more than three. ;-p  Trust me, it is very easy to triple this recipe and still use a large sized sauce pan! (TIP -->) Just takes a bit longer to reach the boiling point, and then you need to boil and stir for about three minutes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting up to:
~ "Sweet Sunday('s)", at "My Sweet Creations" (http://tastingmysweetcreations.blogspot.com/)
~
"Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Market Yourself Monday", are hosted by Sumo, at 'Sumo's Sweet Stuff' (http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/)
~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Tuesdays at the Table", are hosted by Cole, at 'All The Small Stuff' (http://allthesmallstuff-cole.blogspot.com/).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "Tasty Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Jennifer, at "Balancing Beauty and Bedlam" (http://www.beautyandbedlam.com/)
~ "Whatever Goes Wednesday('s), hosted by Michelle, at 'Someday Crafts'
(http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/)
~ "Full Plate Thursday('s), hosted by Miz Helen, at 'Miz Helen's Country Cottage' (http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/)
~ "(Foodie Friday's)", are hosted by "Gollum" (aka: Michael), at 'Designs by Gollum' (http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/)

LATE ADD : 
~ "Beat The Winter Blues Party", hosted by Karen, "The Suburanite", at "Goodbye City, Hello Suburbs!" (http://goodbyecityhellosuburbs.blogspot.com/)

11 comments:

  1. That looks very rich and delicious! I never thought of eating homemade pudding warm. I only made pudding once, it was a chocolate peanut butter pudding and I put some whipped cream on top. Spring will be here before you know it, hang in there! Thanks for sharing this with us at Sweet Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Kate, via email - "You gave me the PUDDING RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl! :)

    I didn't know that about boiling the pudding longer if it's a bigger batch. But I *have* found out from personal experience that while I don't mind standing and stirring while 3-4 cups of milk comes to a boil for pudding, trying to make a 12-cup (or more!) batch takes FOREVER to boil. :P And while it's possible, more often than not I think I've ended up scorching the bottom :P :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tammy :-)
    I accidentally found one trick that I have no troubles remembering to use - When it's time to stir something such as a pudding product, where you have to let it boil while continually stirring, I grab one of my wooden spoons that sort of has a flat edge on the bottom. The flat edge part does a much better job of scraping the bottom while your stirring than normal shaped spoons do. ESPECIALLY when your doing large multiples of a batch!

    Knowing you, I bet you won't forget my stumbled upon trick either ;-)

    Cheryl B.
    The Bz House That Love Built

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect for the Beat the Winter Blues party. Come link up! http://goodbyecityhellosuburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks soooo good. Will try in the Winter, it's Summer time here in New Zealand. We have a recipe up too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was pretty positive I had left you a comment on this earlier but maybe I just read it and failed to comment?

    Anyway, it looks yummy and I love chocolate pudding. Also love the ice cream idea. And thanks for the tip about the wooden spoon. Great idea!

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate pudding is great anytime. I love the idea of it combined with ice cream. Ho boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday to say hello! That looks like it was warm when the ice cream was scooped out and put on top, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how funny, we both had the same thoughts of Chocolate pudding! (Thanks for your comments, and definitely a good idea to keep the blinds closed for any kitchen lovin' :)) On another note - who knew Bisquick could make such a delicious looking pudding? This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]