We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Monday, February 8, 2010

adding a gas cutter

      I can not honestly remember if I have ever posted this particular cooking tip or not. I know I have mentioned it on various sites, in comments I have left after some of their particular postings ... I 'think' I have actually included the info. in a posting I have done ... but I'm not sure. And seeings how I am currently off of all types of medications in preparation for the testing tomarrow morning, there is no way I am going scanning through old postings to see!!! No way what so ever!! So I'll just post it here and now, and you'll either be reminded of it, or learn it new.

      The {very important, ever so helpful, "oh my gosh I wish I knew that when ...") 'tip', has to do with adding a very small, untasteable amount, of a particular product to foods, which usually have gas producing side effects. You know, the non-nice smelling type.

      Ginger is a natural gas cutter. Especially ground ginger. And it works best when it has been slowly cooked in undetectable amounts into products.
      Overall, I really do not care for ginger. (Okay, so I liked 'Ginger' on Gilligan's Island ... I'm talking about not liking the taste of the cooking type of ginger o;-p). Every once in awhile, I do enjoy a ginger snap cookie. But overall, I don't care for the taste of ginger at all.
    Thankfully, you do not have to add enough ground ginger to what your cooking or baking to be able to detect it's taste, in order for it to cut the gas in the product. It only takes a VERY small amount!! And it really works!!
     A story example. One year while doing the cooking at camp for Memorial weekend, we had done our usual 'picnic theme' meal. You know, hamburgs on the grill, potato salad, deviled eggs, baked beans, etc.. During the weekend that year, other volunteers were working on various roofing projects. So when the guys came in and saw the baked beans on the buffet, the comments started. And they scraped the pan of them clean. They planned on seeing who could clear the roof first. (totally a guy thing 8-/).
     What they did not know, was that I had heard of this secret 'tip' and had put it to use. They came in for dinner that night DEMANDING to know what I had done to the beans and why no matter how hard they tried, they could not produce much gas. They didn't appreciate my much thought out effort on their behalf. Actually, they didn't appreciate the joke being on them and this cook having the upper hand (o;-p). It was great!!!!!!

     So, how much ground ginger do you add? Like I said, it only takes a very small amount. To an institutional can of beans for baked beans, I only add about one quarter (1/4) of a teaspoon. If that.

     What all can it be added to? I recommend adding it to: Baked Beans, Chili, Meat Burritos, Baked Broccoli or Broccoli soups, Baked Cabbage products, Baked Califlower or Califlower soups, etc..

      Let's see ... how to end this ... "May the stench never be with you again". (go ahead and moan, I can take it).

I 'plan' on linking this particular posting to:
~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Mom2my9, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).

~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "I am Blissfully Domestic", hosted by Kim (from 'Up North Mommy'), at 'Blissfully Domestic' (your life, your bliss) (http://blissfullydomestic.com/i-am-blissfully-domestic/).
~ "What I Learned this Week", are hosted by Jo-Lynne, at 'Musings of a Housewife' (http://www.musingsofahousewife.com/).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

9 comments:

  1. I have NEVER heard this before, but I am going to give it a try! Wow! Does it have to be fresh ginger root or can it just be the stuff in the spice aisle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is so funny, because I thought your title was "Grass cutter." In the beginning, I couldn't figure out why you were talked about cooking, and wondered if you were going to recommend adding grass to some foods.

    I kid you not. I was so lost, lol! Glad to see it all makes sense now and what a great tip. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this either! Do you have to use fresh, or can you use the seasoning ginger? I think I will Google it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that is fascinating...seriously fascinating! (Especially the part about not needing a lot, because I don't care for the taste, either.) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew that ginger would settle an upset stomach, but I have not heard of the other:) Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question! That is so cool. Using the powdered form is a that much easier!!! That is a jem of a piece os info. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew that. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginger is also very good for ulcers too!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]