We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Monday, February 1, 2010

roaster into a crockpot

     What some people just do not seem to get, is that the big sixteen (16) to eighteen (18) quart roasters, do NOT cook your food in the same manner that a crock-pot does. Yes, I know that some people do get the difference, but trust me, many miss it.

      What's the difference?
       A roaster bakes like a oven. Therefore, it is a dry type of cooking.
       A crock-pot is more like a steamer, thus you usually end up with a moister type of cooking.
      And the older model slow cookers, where there is a base unit and then your food goes in a metal type of 'crock' which sits on top of it, is more like cooking on a stove burner.
      No, those are not technically correct definitions. They are just the easy for me to remember/keep in mind ones. Or in other words, that is how I think of the differences.

      I greatly prefer moist food. Whether it be in cookies, or meat, or .. Yup, to me, moist is best!!! Thus I have always liked how cooking BBQ Ribs in a crock-pot, makes them so tender they fall apart when you try to take them out.
     Now true, with crock-pots, even though you (of course!) spray the container, and even though it cooks more like a steamer, it's still best to add some liquid when you start, (or make sure what your cooking contains quite a bit of liquid) or you can end up with dried, 'burnt on' messes.
     But with roasters, you need to add a l-o-t more liquid, which can change the consistency of the food your making. Not always good.

     For years now I have been saying that I wish the companies that make roasters and crock-pots would make a roaster sized crock-pot. And I have looked high and low for one, both in stores and on line. There is something "industrial sized", available through food service suppliers, which sort of is ... but not exactly. And it's definitely in a whole different price range!

      Brain and I got brave, and for the food we did in the roasters for the middle school snow camp, we (with Brent's help ;-}) experimented. Our goal was to see if by adding some water to the inside of the roaster, BEFORE putting the liner in (the part you then put the food into), if it would make the cooking process more like a crock-pot does it.
     We are thrilled to report that it did!!! :-D It made a wonderful difference!!! Bingo!! :->

       To make your roaster cook more like a crock-pot does, add just enough water to the inside of the roaster, that when you put the liner in (which has been sprayed!) and fill it with your food, the water in the bottom of the main part, not only covers the bottom of it, but also goes up around the sides some. After turning your dial to a bit lower of a temp, put the lid on the roaster and walk away :-}.
      Take note, this process will cause steam to rise up around the liner, so you'll want to wear hot mitts, not just use hot pads, when everything is done cooking.


I 'plan' on linking this particular posting to:
~ "Make-Do Mondays", hosted by Shari, at 'My Practically Perfect Life' (www.practically-perfect-life.blogspot.com).
~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Mom2my9, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Make Your Monday('s)", are hosted by Kim, at 'Twice Remembered' (http://twiceremembered.blogspot.com/).

~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "I am Blissfully Domestic", hosted by Kim (from 'Up North Mommy'), at 'Blissfully Domestic' (your life, your bliss) (http://blissfullydomestic.com/i-am-blissfully-domestic/).
~ "What I Learned this Week", are hosted by Jo-Lynne, at 'Musings of a Housewife' (http://www.musingsofahousewife.com/).


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What an awesome discovery!

    I love moist foods also. I even have a roaster that I have not used because I love my foods moist and I knew my roaster baked. (My grandma had a roaster and used it a lot.)

    I will have to dig out my roaster, still in it's box, and put it to the test. This would make those long ribs so much easier to cook.

    Thanks for linking again with Make-Do Monday.
    I love your ideas and love being able to share them with others.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Shari
    Make-Do Mondays @ Practically Perfect Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, okay...confession time. I think, based on all you wrote, that I don't even know what a roaster is! (I thought it was another name for a Dutch Oven, but obviously not.) Sigh...I still have so much to learn. Thanks for the tutorial and glad it all came out moist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you talk about a liner in the roaster, do you mean a big plastic bag that you use to cover your meat? I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.

    I always cook my turkey in a big plastic bag and it comes out very moist, but I love this idea for things like roast and ham and stuff. Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that different sized roasters do bake differently even though I use the same recipe, same brand of chicken.

    I'm still trying to understand the difference between roasting and just plain bake!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]