We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Jordan's Bridal Shower :-)

      I attended our church's bridal shower for my friend Jordan last night. Yes, as I've mentioned before, Jordan is the daughter of my dear friend 'Jewels'. But Jordan and I are also friends. They are a double smile! :-) :->
    At first I was not going to participate in the game. Why not? Because they were passing out magazines to write on, and then papers, and I figured that it was going to be one of those fill in the blanks type, or perhaps an unscramble the words type. I have never been very good at either one, my mind just doesn't seem to click that way, so passing them up was no big loss. Plus, when you add in the challenges from having vertigo - reading across... trying to think - Pass!
    However, once the game got started, I decided to participate after all. I was just going to use the back of 'Jewels' paper, but then she decided to just let me play. She should have just said "No, you chose not to play", because I ended up winning the game. Seriously! ;-p
   Laurie W. was the overseer for the game part of the shower. After having had us draw a line down the middle of our papers, and put a plus sign at the top of one column and a minus sign at the top of the other; she explained that it was a 'poetic' game.
   Several people moaned. They thought we would have to give poetic type answers, or something. Nope. The game was questions, written in poetic form. Any of you whom would like to use this game idea yourselves, are free to just plain out and out ask the questions.
   There were varying points given (or taken away) for each of the questions.
   Due to some of the type of questions, I think that the game is really a rather 'older' one. Like what? Like you got points if you were wearing pearls. Laurie said that we could have it be pearls on a ring, or on earrings, or in a necklace.  Another one was if anybody had chosen to wear "stockings". Laurie explained to some that that meant nylons. I think it was Sandy H. whom commented, "Don't I get points for choosing NOT to wear any kind of socks what-so-ever?"  ;-p
    Laurie had admitted that they had added some of the lines themselves. While she wouldn't say which ones, we all knew that she had added the one about losing points for chewing gum, and how it negatively affected your teeth. Laurie is an dental hygienists. ;-p
    There was a question which equaled you getting two points per button on your clothing. However, if those buttons were blue, you then lost points. Why? Just because ;-p.
    You got ten points if you had kissed your husband that day. For those not married, you could get twenty points if you agreed to allow those in attendance to find a husband for you ;-p!
    You got points if you had made your bed that day. 'Jewels' commented about how her mom had always said that someday doing so would be important. "It sure took long enough for that day to get here!" ;-P!
    You got points if your toes were sticking out of your shoes. If you were wearing earrings (Laurie said no, you could not multiply the number by each pair of earrings in your ear, or any place else on your body for that matter. ;-p). If your nails were painted. If you were wearing roses (my shirt had lots of roses on it! Honest, I only gave myself the original amount of points!). If you'd made dinner for your family before coming. If you'd been early to the shower. If you knew the date of the wedding. If the couples picture was hanging on your fridge. If you had even one curl in your hair (they said that Jordan's sister-in-law Ashley, could NOT multiply that number by every estimated curl in her hair ;-p). If you were wearing heels. If your shoes were the color black. Etc.
    You lost points if you had a zipper in the back. If you had not fixed your family dinner. If you didn't even know what month their wedding was in. Etc.
    Between the questions and all of the comments, the game took awhile. But the time was so-o full of laughter, that it was really fun!!! And seeings how both Jordan and her mom are known for their laughter, it was also very appropriate!
    'Jewels' had tallied up my points for me, and I won! :-)
    What did I win?  A sort of pumpkin shaped, decorated around the top, woven basket; a pumpkin scented candle; and a magnetic note pad. I had laughed and said, "Hah! The 'boys' won't pull out my tubs of fall decorations for me, but now I have some anyways!" 'Jewels' and Barb Weer. had said, that the note pad was so I could write a note telling my 'boys' to get my decorations out for me. ;-p  I had walked over and given the candle to Elizabeth B., seeings how she had driven me there. You know, shipping fees. o;-p
    Seeing the gifts is always fun!  There were several neat ideas amongst them. A couple of them I am going to post about later. But I will tell you about a couple different ones.
    One was a fabric shopping bag. Inside was a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, along with all of the ingredients (except the eggs I think) for making them. Flour, brown sugar, choc. chips, butter, baking soda, etc.. Very clever!
    Another one contained a can opener, and then lots of cans of food products. Nice!
    My sister always gives the couple a wedding style Christmas Ornament. Jordan oohed and awwed over hers! Brenda found that you can order them on line through Bonner's. (Thought some of you might want to use that tidbit).
    While my 'aunt' Billie wasn't able to be in attendance, she had sent one of her signature gifts. She always gives a beautiful piece of crystal. She believes that every bride deserves at least one thing of beauty in her home! Jordan's was a raised... oh what do you call them bowls?!! You know, the type that you use lady fingers and pudding and cool whip to make  desserts out of, which are so fancy looking in those bowls. Yeah, THOSE bowls. brain....8-/.
    Rhonda N. had overseen the gift part of the shower. For some of the larger size or heavier gifts, she'd walk around the circle letting people see them, instead of people trying to pass them person to person. She of course got dubbed 'Vanna', as in Vanna White from 'Wheel of Fortune'. She tried to play it up, but was told she failed, in part due to not wearing a pretty gown. ;-p
     It was a REALLY nice shower, regardless of the fact that 3/4ths of the way through, all of the sounds and motion really set off my vertigo. Bother!!! But my wonderful husband came to rescue me :-D. I pray that Harold will be as nice of a husband to Jordan, as Brian is to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]