We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Creation vs. Loving Us

    There is a TV show called "Big Bang Theory" which I call "The Geek Squad". At first it was due to my never being able to remember what it's name really was, and since the show is all about a bunch of 'geeks', it both fit and worked. Now I continue to call it that because I do not believe in 'the big bang theory'. You know, the one about how everything came to be.
    Now true, I was brought up being taught all about God, and creationism, etc., so yes, in a way, believing in it does come rather naturally. On the other hand, I have never seriously doubted or questioned it either. There are just so many examples of God's handy work, so many evidences of His power, that I find it very easy to believe that God created the heavens and the earth. If you are unfamiliar with the way in which God created everything, go next door, or to your local library and borrow a Bible. Then, open it up to the very first book in it - Genesis, and start right off reading in chapter one, with verse one.
    Examples of how I see evidences of God's hand in creation and nature: Thunder. They can scientifically explain away what causes lightening to happen - I want to insert a thought here. Did you know that it is the enzymes that lightening releases, which make the grass turn so green after a good storm? It's not the rain itself, although sometimes just being watered does help the grass to grow and thus turn greener. But it is lightening that makes it brilliantly green. And that supposedly 'just happened' due to some big bang? Hum mmm. But think about thunder. Instead of letting it scare you, marvel at being able to feel God's power in it. How He can make the whole sky rumble. How He can make it sound like there is some gigantic steelie rolling around up there. How He can make it BOOM!! like it sometimes does. That is God demonstrating His power to us. Awesome!!!
    Another example is the seasons. Here in Michigan we get to experience the four seasons full scale. How a tree which has laid dormant all winter, can suddenly start sprouting little buds which then open up into pretty flowers and/or leaves, depending on what type of tree it is, is just amazing. Yes, I know that science has been able to figure that all out too. But then after those trees have been full of leaves, etc. all summer long, the leaves start changing colors. Sometimes slowly, other times seemingly overnight. And yes, science has explanations for this to. BUT, how is it that one leaf, which all summer long was only green in color, can change to being four different colors, none of which are green? Colors which according to how you mix food coloring or paint, could not happen since there was green in the mix. And you know what, I'm okay with science being able to explain how certain things happen. It's rather intriguing. What I can't grasp, is how some claim that all of that came out of some big bang. Just doesn't make sense to me.
    Another example is animal and human life. Let's think about human life. How two little teeny weenie tad pole looking thingies can connect is one thing. But then from them doing so, a human body can form - arms with hands and fingers connected to them. Legs that bend in certain ways and have feet and toes connected to them. Toes which despite their small size help balance a full grown human body. And a head with ears and eyes in it which send signals to this brain and also affect a bodies balance. And think about that brain. About how it's signals control how those legs move, and how those fingers work, and how the food we eat is digested, and the list goes on and on. And ALL of that comes out of those two tiny little tadpole like thingies joining together?! Amazing!! And all of that came out of some big bang happening? Sorry, I just can't grasp it.
    I could go on and on and on with the examples. They are everywhere. They are amazing and wonderful and can delight my spirit and bring smiles to my soul and I love how God shows himself in and through all of them!!! o/~ "Our God is an awesome God!!!" o/~
    So, like I said, I do not and never have had troubles believing that God created the heavens and the earth. It only makes sense from my perspective. However, there is something else about God that I have often struggled with. It has to do with God loving us humans.
    I know he does ... but think about it with me. God loves us humans. Us humans. And not just certain ones, everybody! My goodness. That means that He loves that one particular person whom just drives us over the wall of irritability so fast you can't even blink first! God loves them?!! Yup.
    God loves the same people that we do. And He loves the people that we just like. And He loves the people that we think are just okay. And He loves the people that we're not so sure about. And He loves the ones that we tell our children to stay away from because their bad people. And He loves the ones we describe as low down, dirty, good for nothing, scoundrels. And He even loves the ones whom are below that. God loves everybody. Period.
    That I have often had problems accepting. And even though I was brought up being taught all about God and His love for all of mankind, I have seriously doubted and questioned it. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to me.
    While I would usually rather not admit it, I do know that I am not always the easiest person to love, or even like for that matter. And yet from my perspective at least, I am not t-h-a-t hard to like or love. o:-) But I know some people that I don't see any way they could think such about themselves. I mean really!! You know the ones .... yeah. And yet God loves me even when I am at my absolute worst, and He loves those other people too. How?!!! Like I said, it just doesn't make sense.
    On the other hand, isn't it ever so reassuring?!!! Doesn't it just inspire you to strive to not be unlovable so that He's never tempted to no longer love you - not that He would. He wouldn't. After all, He is God! But come on, we are thinking from human perspectives. Praise God that He always thinks far more rationally!!!
    So-o, I believe that God created the heavens and the earth, and everything there in. And yes, I also believe that He loves each and every single one of us. It's just that I have no challenges believing the first part, but sometimes struggle with the latter part. I do however know both to be true, and I thank Him for both!!! I also thank Him for helping me when I question. He IS an amazing God!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. The thing that bothers me is when people try to influence history by "finding the Ark" or "rediscovering the shroud". Let it be!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]