We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Warm Weather Dessert # 1

    Rather recently, Mrs. Jen B. of the blog, 'The Misadventures of Mrs. B.' (one of the times I was visiting her blog, Brian walked into the room and after reading the title of the blog, questioned why I had started a second blog ;-p He was right on one point - that title would be "a bit" too appropriate for me, wouldn't it?!? o;-p), had written, "As soon as the temps start to warm up even a little bit and it looks like spring will actually show itself, I feel the urge to eat ....".
   Isn't it funny how with every seasonal change, there are certain foods that we start wanting to have and other foods that we are now done with for awhile? Mrs. Jen B. was referring to wanting to eat salads, the ones made of green leafy veggies, etc.. But with warm weather, we also start wanting more of other kinds of salads, such as chicken salad, and egg salad, and even good ole bologna salad.
   We also start wanting different kinds of desserts. That's what this *series I'm starting today is about. A few desserts that we are not limited to making only in warm weather months, but that is when we usually enjoy them much more.

              Today's feature: warm weather dessert # 1:
                        NO BAKE CHEESECAKE
               {can't figure out how to rotate the picture}

     In my recipe box, this particular recipe states that it came from my mom - Pat. Burg.. If I were a betting woman, I'd bet that this recipe came from some magazine ad in the late ' 60's or ' 70's. But all I can say for sure, is that it came, and it stayed!!! It's extremely smooth texture, rich flavored "yummyness" (quote from my niece Bethany :-) ) makes it one that's going to stay around for many more years too.

    1 cup canned milk (such as Pet, etc.) CHILLED
    1 large package (6 oz) Jell-o (choose flavor to go with fruit)
    2 cups boiling water
    16 single (8 double) graham crackers
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
    1 cup sugar
    8 oz. cream cheese
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 large package thawed frozen strawberries** - or-
        1 can DRAINED crushed pineapple

~ Chill the canned milk for 45 min. in the freezer
~ Dissolve Jell-o in the boiling water and cool in fridge for 1/2 hour
~ Make crust.
    - place graham crackers in a used bread bag, fold the end over a couple of times, and use a rolling pin to crush the graham crackers. Then keep rolling over them until they are finely crushed.
    - dump crushed graham crackers into a bowl, add the 1 Tablespoon of sugar, melt the 1/2 cup of butter and pour it on top. Then use a pastry blender to mix everything together well, with out lumps.
~ Spread crust mixture into bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, or the deep part of an older style Tupperware rectangular cake taker. Chill in fridge for 1/2 hour. (you might want to save a couple of Tablespoons of the mixture to sprinkle on top of the cheesecake as garnish).
~ Cream together 1 cup of sugar, the 8 oz. of cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and fruit of your choice. (I have found that if you first put the sugar in a bowl, then the cream cheese and stick them in the microwave for about a half minute, they cream together ever so much easier, then add in the other stuff).
~ Mix the chilled Jell-o in with the creamed mixture.
~ Whip 1 cup of canned milk (remember, 1 cup - not entire can!) [use the rest of the can in making mashed potatoes ;-)] for fifteen (yes - 15!) minutes with an electric mixer. (this is one of the times I am ever so thankful for the stand mixer my MIL gave me one year for Christmas!!!)
~ Add the combined Jell-o and creamed mixture to the whipped milk and whip for 5 more minutes.
~ Combined whipped mixture is now ready to pour into crust. If you saved some of the graham cracker mixture, sprinkle it on top as garnish.
~ CHILL FOR SEVERAL (3 or 4) HOURS!!
~ Cut, plate up, e-n-j-o-y!!!!! :-}


* Series on warm weather desserts. Stay tuned, additional ones will be featured on this blog soon ;->

** about the strawberries. Personally, I use the type in liquid, and include some of the liquid in the measurement. Doing so does then require the four hours of chill time at the end, and yet still doesn't stand up quite as firmly (just a bit wobbly). However, doing so does increase the strawberry flavorness. A 'worth it' bonus in my book!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting to:

~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Market Yourself Monday", are hosted by Sumo, at 'Sumo's Sweet Stuff'  (http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/)
~ "Tuesday is Food Day", hosted by Byron, at 'A Lord, A Lady, and a cute little Princess' (http://byroncyndi.blogspot.com/) .
~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Tuesdays at the Table", are hosted by Cole, at 'All The Small Stuff' (http://allthesmallstuff-cole.blogspot.com/).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).
~ "Tasty Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Jennifer, at "Balancing Beauty and Bedlam" (http://www.beautyandbedlam.com/)
~ "Sweet Thursday('s)", are hosted by Jerri, at 'Simply Sweet Home' (http://simplysweethome.blogspot.com/)

10 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks for mentioning me here today! This no-bake cheesecake looks yuuuummmmmy! And easier than a regular cheesecake for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so light and cool! I'm always ready to try a recipe that won't run my oven during the summer months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on my blog when you left your comments. You make me laugh...you're so fun and upbeat and I love your "long rambling comments", THANK YOU~ :)
    The dessert here looks really good. I did a post a few years ago, on a hot hot day, when I made no bake cookies. They are one of our favorite hot weather treats, although I did have to stand at the stove to heat the ingredients. I like your detailed directions and yes, I am very thankful for my stand mixer, too!
    (I see you have another cute profile pic, in honor of April showers!)

    We live in Northern CT...and not long ago we had ice on the ponds and snow on the ground. The kids are CRAZY aren't they? I couldn't believe it when I heard the splash that meant Davy had jumped in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My recipe today is also a strawberry pineapple salad perfect for warm weather. I will have to try ours, it does look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! NO FAIR taking a slice out of the middle of the cake! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanx a ton lods for bringing ur super delicioud desserts to the party....so so muc loved having u over and i love this no bake cheese cake.....u add to the fun ,love n hugs and we are thrilled u coukd make it ...
    wishing ya a super sprkly weekend and thanx for linkn and poppin by....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for bringing this most wonderful dish to my birthday party. This is the ultimate in yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill R. sent via email - "Looks Yummy! Thanks for Sharing. I will try this sometime!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Recently my Aunt Darlene asked me for this recipe, she had lost her copy. I sent her to this link. this was her reply - "I read what you said about it being your mom's recipe. Actually I think she got the recipe from me. My girlfriends mom used to make it all the time."

    Totally possible. All I know is, my mom had the recipe and we liked it when she made it! :-D

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]