We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Warm Weather Dessert # 3

      As I mentioned in both of the other warm weather dessert postings, in warm weather, we start wanting different kinds of desserts. Today, I am posting recipe # 3 in the series I had started. The series features a few desserts that we are not limited to making only in warm weather months, but that is when we usually enjoy them much more.

         Today's feature: warm weather dessert # 3:
        Rice Krispie Treats / "The Thick Soft Type"


       Very recently I received a message from my niece Rachel, inquiring if I would be up to making my version of Rice Krispie Treats for the upcoming middle school overnighter. I wasn't sure if she was wanting me to make enough for everybody, or if she just wanted me to donate a normal batch of them. I did know however, that no matter which it was, a couple of them would not make it to the actual event. She would be the good group leader and do a quality control sample (or two) first ;-p
     As most of you know, for the most part, I do not like hard or extra crunchy foods. So I have always strove to make or bake moist goods. To do so, I often tweak recipes. But I am not the only one whom appreciates the end result!! Many a time I have been asked, "just what is it you do to yours that make them so-o-o good?!! They're SO moist and yummy!"
    Here's your answer. I should interrupt myself to state that I know some of you will not like my version, due to having chosen to cut all fats, etc. from what you eat. I can respect that. Honest. I just think these are too good to resist ;-p

    1 cup BUTTER
    16 ounces (1 pound) mini marshmallows
    10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
( make sure you use fresh product, not ones which have sat in your pantry for months. It makes an enormous difference!)

~ Melt butter in a sprayed dutch oven over low heat.
~ Once the butter has melted enough to cover the bottom of the pan, add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Cook over low heat three (3) minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
~ Slowly add Rice Krispie cereal, stirring until well coated.
~ Dump the contents into a sprayed 9 x 13 pan. Using a sprayed spatula or waxed paper, press mixture down evenly.
~ When cool cut into squares.

--- OR ---
~ while still warm, sprinkle the top with semi sweet choc. chips and place the pan into your oven which has been set on warm (or 100o). Wait about 8 to 10 minutes, remove from oven, and spread the melted choc. chips. THEN cool and cut into squares.


if after spreading you find that you hadn't put on enough chips, add more, and repeat process.
   I of course did it this way to show you that it can be done (yeah right) o;-p


This recipe makes one 9x13 pan of VERY THICK treats, which produces 24 squares when cut.

    Seeings how I am including this recipe in warm weather desserts, and yet it does require cooking, I would like to include THIS TIP --> In hot summer months, it is best to do any baking right before you go to bed at night. That way the kitchen cools off with the cooler night air. Bake, pull product from oven, set it on wire racks, place a large piece of parchment paper arched loosely on top, and go to bed. . . . The only challenge with this methodology, is that your attempting to fall asleep with the wonderful aromas filling your house .....

You might also like:
~ warm weather dessert # 2: (No Bake) Banana Split Dessert

~ warm weather dessert # 1: NO BAKE CHEESECAKE

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I 'plan' on linking this particular posting to:
~ "Making Your Home Sing Monday('s)", are hosted by Nan, at 'Mom's the Word (I love to hear)' (http://momstheword--livingforhim.blogspot.com/).
~ "Homemaker Mondays ... Yours, Mine & Ours", are hosted by Jen, at '11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven' (http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/).
~ "Tuesday is Food Day", hosted by Byron, at 'A Lord, A Lady, and a cute little Princess' (http://byroncyndi.blogspot.com/) .
~ "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Lisa, at 'Blessed with Grace' (http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com).
~ "Tuesdays at the Table", are hosted by Cole, at 'All The Small Stuff' (http://allthesmallstuff-cole.blogspot.com/).
~ "Kitchen Tip Tuesday('s)", are hosted by Tammy, at 'Tammy's Recipes' (http://www.tammysrecipes.com/).

5 comments:

  1. Kate commented via email:
    "Sure, you send this out AFTER I had to use the recipe on the Rice Krispies box to make mine! :) Truthfully though, SO glad you have shared. I have such a taste for rice krispie treats these days, it's a little ridiculous. :)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum!!!! This would make a great treat this summer! Oh, and I loved your hubby's fb quote. My husband almost never updates his status, whereas I usually update mine at least once a day. (Never with anything as thought provoking as your hubby's quote though, lol!). Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOLLOLLOL! You cut the pieces out of the middle of each cake! I have tried but just can't manage to do that. I think it's a art, in fact cutting a cake neatly is an art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip about baking in the summer! :) I agree... I've had many people say "In the summer you have to bake in the morning when it's cool" and I say, umm, I bake in the evening when the house is already hot because it'll be getting cooler outside soon... and the house has all night to cool down!" :) Thankfully, here in the PNW, it gets nice and cool at night during most of the summer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of adding chocolate to Rice Krispie Squares - how to make a good thing even better!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]