We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

first it was... and then... and then...

    First I had given Brian a choice. Should I attend the Easter service at church, or the family Easter dinner which this year was to be with my side of the family? He looked over what all was on the schedule for the service and figured that I stood a better chance of surviving the family dinner. Easter service is full of so many aspects that could prove very challenging to me and my vertigo.
    But I guess I turned my head a few too many times, and watched a bit too much movement, or something, at the family gathering, because by Sunday evening the migraine had started it's evil settling in. Bother!!
    I took some Tylenol and went to bed, ever so hopeful. But it wasn't to be. Monday morning not only wasn't the migrane gone, it had intensified. Greatly. Grumble, grumble.

   Our hot water heater broke down this past weekend. On Friday we had tried starting the diswasher, but it wouldn't start. When Brian got up I told him about it, thinking it was some fuse or something. Nope. The pilot light on the hot water heater had gone out. BOTHER!!! He relit it and we were able to run the dishwasher and get one shower in. Well, he got his shower in and thought everything was fine, so I went in for mine. I got my hair, pits and vital parts washed and scampered out, ever so thnkful that it was a considerably warm day outside, not a below freezing one!!! I was chilled!
    He lit it yet again, and sons got their showers in. But then it was out again. This was really doing a number on my nerves. No, not just because of the inconvience of it. See, eight years ago next month (can't really believe it's been that long) was when our house fire was. And it had started, in the middle of the night, in the basement, due to our hot water heater. We hadn't known there were any problems building up back then. This time I knew. And while it was a totally different problem, it was a problem. With our hot water heater. I'm sorry, but that just proved to be very unnerving to me!!!
    So Monday Brian tried getting numbers off of the machine and going to Home Depot, etc.. To no avail. He made several phone calls to our friend Steve W. whom is a plumber. In the end, Steve was hired and the apointment was made for him to come install a new one Tues. morning.

   Yes, we had the money for a new hot water heater. Our tax refunds had just hit the bank. They h-a-d been ear marked for .... Yes, we did thank the Lord that at least we had the money. But .... being truly thankful isin't always easy.

   Tues. I awoke to the migrane being reduced some. Yet it actually seemed like it had all just shifted and settled in one fist size knot in the right part of my forehead. Not exactly what I was hoping for. I was up for a bit, the pain increased, I took more medication and went to bed.
    There were all kinds of loud noises and even a lot of sirens somewhere close by. Hadn't a clue what was going on, just wished it would hush up!!! I learned today that a semi had jack knifed on the highway exit near us.
    I was finally to the point where your almost all the way asleep, and yet you know your not yet, when I heard this extremely loud, high pitch piercing sound. What the heck?!!! No-o-o. Yup. It sounded again, and it WAS the smoke detector. Oh my gosh!!!! I jumped up, trying to stay balanced, while my head was racing thoughts about Brain, Steve and two of our sons working on the hot water heater in the basement. My vision got blurry from both tears and dizzyness. I ran towards Bensons room. He was already up, dressed, and answered yes he would find Rascal while I went to see if I could get the guys out. I tell you, I was full of fear! Boo had met me in the upper hallway. He was coming to get me :-} Very reassuring!!
    Brian met Boo and I in the living room. They had been sodering something, and the smoke from it had set off the smoke detectors. Every body and everything was fine. We called that up to Benson whom had just drug Rascal out from under my bed, while I was shaking in Brian's arms. Boo jumped up on the couch and then stretched to us. Was everything really okay?

    As I was about to step out of Brian's arms, this noise started. This loud house shaking noise. And then we heard the wind also shaking the house. The noise was hail. Pretty serious hail!!! Instantly it was not only covering the yard, but also starting to pile up. It was also covering our friends truck, which he had parked in the neighbor's driveway.
    We grabbed the camera and tried instantly to get some pictures. But the batteries were dead. So Brian and Brent (whom by then had also come upstairs) found some new batteries. By then they could still get pictures, but the wind had already blown some of the accumulation away.



(can anybody tell me how you can get posted pictures to sit next to each other?)

    But it had hit so hard and strong that I was sure we were going to loose power ... and the guys were still working on the hot water heater ....

   All of that had happened before 10:30 Tuesday morning. I tried settling my nerves. I posted what I had 'planned' to post on Monday. But after awhile I surrendered and went back upstairs for awhile.

   Thankfully this morning the migrane was down to a quarter of it's size. But then I went to physical therapy. He had me walking this extremely long hallway tossing a ball up and down and following it with my eyes. Right. Then he had me walking and reading to him from a magazine. Yeah. I hit the bathroom before leaving there, but thankfully only noise came up.

    o/~ "The sun will come out tomarrow ...." o/~    Please, please, please!!!

(Spell check is doing all kinds of weird stuff. Figures. Hope this wasn't too horible to read.)

1 comment:

  1. Our water heater along with our furnace always seem to break down on the coldest days! I skip my shower but J. braves it and I don't know how he does it!

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]