We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Fiction >< Reality

     I have always been one of the ones, that have often wished that fiction and reality could merge. As in, I have often wished that characters out of fictional books (or movies) could suddenly 'magically' merge into real life, or that I could suddenly go into theirs. At least for awhile. And I know that I am not alone in this way of thinking.
    M-a-n-y females over the years, have wished such about 'Anne with an e' and her BFF Diane (also ending with an 'e'  ;-}). We have to a one, been absolutely positive that if such a situation could actually happen, three would NOT be a crowd!!!
    There are also many whom have imagined themselves as another sibling in 'The Boxcar Children'.
    And in 'Little Women'! We would just be another one of the sisters. Oh how we cried when our dear Beth died!! She was our sister too you know! How we wished that we could both comfort and be comforted by our other sisters in those pages.
    So recently, when Brian chose the movie 'Ink Heart' as our selection to watch one evening, I was intrigued. Yes, it is more along the lines of a 'Fantasy' flick, than fictional. And yes, I am fully aware that many of you don't approve of such. I respect your choice not to, and your reasoning's as to why. But Brian does enjoy them. And I was gonna give it my best shot. I do have an active imagination you know. o;-p
    My 'best shot' for such things, often involves hitting the pause button to clarify something. I don't always 'catch on' quite as quickly, and a movie keeps rolling. Thankfully, Brian is very patient with me, even to the point of pointing out how most of the time I did too have everything straight in my mind, even when I wasn't sure that I did.
    In the movie, the main character has a special ability that can make something from the story he's reading, come into real life. The draw back is, that when that happens, something from real life then goes into fiction. And he has no control over which items it happens to.
   But haven't you often wished you had such ability, only with control over the out come of course? o;-p
   Or, how about the ability to re-write the ending of a story and make it end the way you think it should? I would so-o-o be doing that to the book 'Christy'!!!! I HATE it when an author leaves us readers dangling! Don't tell me about how 'that way I can end it the way I want it to in my own mind!!!' I do that anyways if I don't like your ending. o;-b (inserting 'so there' would probably be a bit too much right here, wouldn't it? ... )
   The movie also had some other features which I truly enjoyed. Like the expression on the main characters face, as they entered a particular old book store. I have seen that exact expression on my husband's face, over the very same thing before! ;->
   And then there is the aunt's house. The aunt herself is comically eccentric. Oh my is she! Such a fun character. But her house .... From the moment it started to enter the screen, I was ever so intrigued!! I most definitely wanted to be there in person. Now!  And the insides, they are the neatest mixture of English country / Italian villa. Kate, Robin, Billie, Debbie G., Brenda  (as well as others) - you will LOVE it!!!
   But the most wondrous of wonders, was the window seat in the library. O-h-h-h  m-y-y-y!!! The library itself was fantabulous!!! I was there! And then they showed it's window seat. Sigh ....
    I have long been a fan of window seats. And yet, I have found many window seats very lacking. They did not have this or that feature that I have always in my mind had, as 'must includes' for window seats. But somehow, some un-beknowest to me way how, the stage designer had gotten a hold of my 'ideal window seat plans' and had used them in the library of the aunts house. And I will say, they did a splendid job of reading and interpreting my plans/ideas too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    Oh the hours I could spend in such a seat. And yes, my dear dear girl friends, it is large enough that there IS room for you to join me there-in! ;-)  We could sit closely side by side and share a magazine. Or we could sit end to end, enjoying our own books and the tidbits from them that we share one with another!
   If only fiction and reality could actually meet in the middle >< . Sigh ....
   No, I am not coveting. Just dreaming .... Your welcome to join me there-in! :-]

1 comment:

  1. Joanna T. sent this response tot his posting - "Your right I enjoyed that :) I love window seats!!!! I can look out and see nature and not have bugs crawling all over me :)"

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]