We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Friday, November 12, 2010

(*Belated) Nov. 7th - "I'm Thankful for: "

    All of the 'modern conveniences'/ 'creature comforts' we have in our home.
    I had received a comment back from Jill Roed. after having posted the Nov. 3rd "I'm Thankful for:" posting, concerning "A lot of the 'creature comforts' we have in our home." After reading the words 'creature comforts', she had figured I was going to be talking about our pets. ;-p. I can see how she'd guess that. After all, I do like to share tales of them with you guys. For the record Jill, this one isn't about them either. But yes, there will eventually be one about them. How could there not be? o;-p
     While I love to read books based on America's 'pioneer days', or from way back in England or Scotland's past, I never-the-less am very very thankful that God chose to have me be born during the current time period. I have great admiration for what all it took them back then to be able to prepare a meal, or bake a cake, or wash their laundry, or keep their family clothed, or to have light inside their homes after dusk, or to keep their family from surcoming to frost bite inside their homes in the winter months, or even to go to the bathroom. Not a single thing I just mentioned, was any-wheres near easy. And my list was a very short one.
     I most defently am thankful for the 'modern conveniences' we have in our home. To be able to put a load from the washing machine, into the dryer, add another load to the washer, and then walk away. That's nice!!! I remember having to haul everything to the laundromat. I admit, I often grumbled about doing so. And yet, compared to having to boil the water in a big pot myself, and hand wash each and every item .... the laundromat is easy!
     To be able to turn the oven on to heat up, open it and put something in, set a timer, and tend to something else, that's nice!!! No making sure I have the right amount of wood in there, or that the fire is hot enough to maintain a particular heat for forty five minutes, etc.. That's easy. Yes, I do enjoy cooking over a open fire pit when we are camping or what ever. But I then curtail our menu accordingly. There are a lot of menu things we really enjoy, that I am very thankful I don't have to adapt to cooking them over a open fire pit. I am thankful for my stove. And my oven. And my crock-pots. And my electric roaster. As well as our toaster, and blender, and other modern day conveniences in the kitchen.
     I remember an episode of 'The Walton's' which had to do with them having a phone inside their own home for the very first time. That was a HUGE deal!!! Now-a-days, many people are getting rid of their in-home phones because they mainly use their cellphones. I chuckle to think what Grandma Walton would have to say about them (the cell phones). ;-p.
     Speaking of 'The Walton's', remember John-Boy plunking away on his treasured typewriter? And now I'm doing the same thing, only on a computer, where I don't have to try and carefully erase an error or scrap a piece of paper. Heck, the computer even notifies me when I misspell something. Talk about 'nice'!!!
     Even though the current condition of our bathroom can annoy me, I am so thankful for it. And while I have always wished that we had more than just one, I have strove to keep in focus that I am blessed to have one. One in-door bathroom. With water available by turning on a tap. And body waste disposed of by flushing a toilet. Nice!!!
     Recently, the 'boys' yet again pointed out one of my in-consistencies. I tell them that they "don't need every light in the house on", but then turn around and tell them not to sit and watch TV or the computer with out another light in the room on as well. I get no respect ;-p. While I hate paying bills, I am never-the-less thankful that we have electricity inside our home!
    I am very very thankful that God chose to have me be born during the current time period, with all of the 'modern conveniences'/ 'creature comforts' we have in our home.
    
The 2010 "I'm Thankful for: " Challenge   - if you don't know what this is, follow the lead on our side bar

about the * by belated - I posted the reason some of these are late HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]