We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Nov. 20th - "I'm Thankful for: "

     Pie.
     Notice I added the 'e' at the end of the word. I'm thankful for the 'make your taste buds smile, edible type'. If I had left off the 'e', I would have been referring to the mathematical type,  which would be extraordinarily unusual for me, seeings how I can never even remember what that type of pi is all about o;-p.  I, however, have no problems remembering the edible types!!! Yummy!!!!
     Brian and I alternate between our two families for the Thanksgiving and Easter holidays. This year, the Thanksgiving holiday falls with my side of the family. My side handles the meal by everybody 'signing up' to bring various parts of the meal. So a couple of weeks ago, we started that process. We now do so via emails ;-). Here is what I sent out: "We'll bring pies. Most likely they will be: Pumpkin, Apple, Blueberry and Toll House." Since then, I have mentally added Pecan to the list.
     This past Wednesday, Katy Eng. had posted this as her Face-book status: "Well, here's to hoping that the rest of the decisions that I make today are better than the one that led me to eat leftover cold pizza for breakfast." I had commented, "Personally, in the 'leftovers dept. for breakfast', I prefer pie :-) Especially like the day after Thanksgiving!!! o;-p".  Rachel (Ban.) Rab. had replied, "I'm with Cheryl. Apple pie... ".  All of that had definitely increased my desire for a piece of pie!
     Then yesterday, as I started opening the emails from a couple of the blogs I subscribe to, the 'desire' for a piece of pie rose almost to the 'longing for a piece of pie' level. I thought I would be nice and help increase your wanting a piece of pie as well o;-p.

     I had said I was making both pumpkin and apple pies, in great part due to how both of them are just such basic Thanksgiving Day pies, and there is always somebody who's disappointed if you don't bring them.
     The blueberry pie was listed for Benson. He just loves it. As does my sister-in-law Michelle, but she won't be eating it this year, seeings how she's from the other side of our family.
     And I had also listed Toll House. For those of you whom are unfamiliar with this one, I got the recipe out of my Toll House cookbook. It's ingredients are, brown sugar, white sugar, butter, flour, chopped walnuts, and chocolate chips. Delicious!!! According to Brian's dad, I ALWAYS owe him a Toll House pie ;-p. But there are many on my side of the family whom like it as well.
     I had toyed with the idea of making Grandma Darling's home made Butterscotch Pie. Talk about smooth yummyness!!! Oh my word!
     I had also thought about my mom's recipe for Pecan pie. At first I had decided against it, but have since listened better to the desires of my taste buds. o;-p
     There are just so-o many good pies out there, but how many varieties should you bring to a families Thanksgiving dinner? I 'thought' I had my mind all settled on the subject. That is, before I opened those blog subscription emails yesterday. Goodness. Talk about tempting the taste buds. Mercy!!!  But I knew yours wanted tempted too, and my parents did teach me to share ..... (o;->).
      First, I had opened my blogging friend Michelle's. Her blogs are 'Big Black Dog' and 'Spend-a-buck farm'.  She had started her posting with, "Below is a list of my favorite recipes for Thanksgiving and of course one favorite recipe for Turkey Leftovers."  While I would substitute pecans for the almonds in her 'Pumpkin Bread Pudding in a Cinnamon Bourbon Sauce', due to not at all liking almonds, but definitely liking pecans, I see that as an easy change.  The 'pie' Michelle featured was actually 'Pumpkin Pie cupcakes with Apple Cider Frosting'. Intriguing sounding, huh?!
     Then at the very bottom of her posting, she had written, "I’m joining in on our Food Bloggers’ Group Thanksgiving Blog Hop organized by Amanda of Amanda’s Cookin’!" Yup, just like Michelle had, there are LOTS of other foods featured in the link-ups besides pies. But man are there pies!!!! Scrumptious looking ones!
     Then I had opened 'The Pioneer Women' (Ree Drummond)'s posting. Right from it's title I knew I was in trouble. The title? "Pies, Pies, Pies!" Oh my goodness. The thing was, she wasn't showing pictures of her own pies, which she IS doing a series on this particular week. Rather, she showed us pictures from other peoples blogs. It seems that this week is 'Pie Week'. She had written, "(The following bakers shared their pies with the #PieWeek hashtag on Twitter. Feel free to keep sharing your own!)"  I am not on twitter, but I was glad that Ree shared so many of the ones which had been featured there. All of them are pies which are currently posted on the various listed blogs. One was "S’more Pie from The Noshery. Goodness gracious.". While my guys aren't huge S'more fans, I think I'm gonna have to try that one sometime anyways! Then came the "Pecan Cheesecake Pie by Never Enough Thyme. " Oh man!!!
     Then at the bottom Ree had written, "Will share more links over the weekend". :-D!!!

     So, my tastebuds are now definitely at the " 'longing for a piece of pie' level". Which makes me very thankful that I worked so hard years ago at 'perfecting' making Grandma Darling's pie crust recipe. Because man am I thankful for pie!!!

    Are YOU thankful for pie?  What level of 'wanting pie' are your taste buds now at? o;-p


The 2010 "I'm Thankful for: " Challenge   - if you don't know what this is, follow the lead on our side bar.

1 comment:

  1. I love pie too but I don't make it enough..not near enough at all.

    When I was growing up I always had a Pecan Pie for my birthday instead of a cake! Funny thing is I've never made a Pecan Pie in my life! Hard to believe isn't it.

    For Thanksgiving last year, didn't you make several pies too?

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]