We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nov. 13th - "I'm Thankful for: "

      Music. o/~
      I really enjoy lots of different types of music styles, to the point that I can not pick just one 'favorite' style.
      Yes, as many of you whom know me well would share, I like 'soft rock-n-roll' - artist like 'Barry Manilow' and 'The Carpenters' and 'Neil Diamond'. But I also enjoy plain 'ole rock-n-roll. As well as both the newer and a lot of the older country style stuff. And some barber shop. And some jazz music. And some classical. And some spiritual. And some bubble gum. And some hip hop. And some harder rock. And some Gospel. And some 'new age'. And some 'Contemporary Christian'. And I can even tolerate some rap - for a while. All in all, I just enjoy music.
     Even though it was a product of my era, I never did care for acid rock. And I don't care for most rap because of the anger, etc. involved in it. You can express frustration, sorrow, hurt, etc. with out having to sling anger around. It doesn't help you cope with it, it makes it boil stronger. No thanks. And I probably don't care for 'head banging' music, due to my head banging often enough due to migraines. No thanks to having it do so due to the music I'm listening to! 
     A-n-y-ways, I really do enjoy music. A wide variety of styles of it. And as many of you long time readers have probably caught on to, my mind seems to have this thing for bringing songs to mind which fit most any occasion/situation. It's just the way I tick. But I love how God can put the words of a particular song into my mind, at just the right point in time! His timing never fails to amaze me!
     In my youth, I never drove any-where's with out the radio playing. And which station was playing depended on my mood that day, or which station I landed on due to really liking a particular song which was playing, and then not bothering to change the station.
      So you would think that I would always have music playing in our house. But I don't. I have pondered this. I think the reasoning behind it is multi-faceted. One facet came from being tired of the 'in-put' as to what I should have playing. As is often the case in a family, one son likes this style, but "can't stand" this other style, which is of course is the preferred style of another son. And on it'd go.
     Another facet comes with volume levels. Yes, chuckle chuckle, that too often had to do with sons, as well as my husband(!). But what I was referring to has more to do with (is the right word) logistics (?). I'd set our big ole boom box up in this room of the house and get the music going. But then I'd wander into there to do something, and then over there, and then down to the basement, and I couldn't hear it good or at all in those places. So sometimes I'd turn it up. But in earlier years that would affect young sons napping. And then it became Brian was sleeping during the day due to working nights. And I didn't like interrupting the sleep cycles of either one! So I'd keep the volume down, but catch myself not leaving the room to complete a task due to wanting to hear the end of this song... and then the next song would start... o;-p.
      Yes, there are more facets, but you get the idea, so I won't drag it out.
      And yes, for years now there have been other listening device options available. But I don't care for any type of head phones. Not at all. And I'm not much fonder of waist packs, so carrying around a little player is out of the question.
     Besides, there is the fact that over the years, I came to long for good ole piece and quiet. It too can sooth a soul!
      But even when the house is quiet, it is not un-common for music to start playing in my mind. Usually it is a song connected somehow with what I am doing or thinking about. [Brian and the 'boys' say it is un-common for them to not have music playing in their heads. I've learned that that is a very common trait of A.D.D., etc..]  I am thankful that music is a part of our lives. The only thing is, I wish 'the back ground music' of life would play louder at certain points in time. You know, so it could clue me in as to what is about to happen. Like when your watching a movie and you audibly tell the actress not to go in there, "can't you tell from the music that's playing, that going in there is a bad idea?!?!!!" ;-p


The 2010 "I'm Thankful for: " Challenge   - if you don't know what this is, follow the lead on our side bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]