We have had lots of struggles and challenges in our lives, but we've had even more blessings!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nov. 3rd - "I'm Thankful for: "

     A lot of the 'creature comforts' we have in our home.
     Brian went down and fired up our furnace last night, for the first time this season. Every year we have the goal of not tuning it on until Halloween. Most often, we are only willing to hold out till mid October. There have been a few years that due to weather conditions, we didn't even make it till Oct. first. We have actually only made it till Halloween a few number of years. This year being one of them.
      But I called and left Brian a message just before noon yesterday. There was still a thick, very noticeable covering of frost in our back yard at the time of my call. That in turn meant that the in door chill I was feeling was more than real. And that my having opened all of the curtains to let the warm sunshine in, wasn't going to be highly effective. Thus, it was time to turn the furnace on, and start attempting to keep it's resulting bills as low as possible.
     While I do hate those bills, I am never the less ever so thankful that we have a furnace with central heating!!! While we do not have the vents to the upstairs open, thanks in great part to everybody having electric mattress pads on their beds (HIGHLY recommend those!!!) (oops, Brent doesn't currently have one, he has a heated water bed), I can feel the heat, or is that lack of great chill ?, in the rest of the house this morning. :-)
    So, I am thankful for the 'creature comfort' of a furnace in our home.
    And for indoor plumbing. Especially in the cold months!!!
    And for running water accessible by turning on a tap.
    And for electricity. It makes things such as having an in-home computer possible. :-)
    And the running water and electricity combined (NOT literally of course ;-p), makes it possible for us to have our own washing machine and dish washer.
    Aha the 'creature comforts', which we often take so-o for granted, as though they are our 'right' to have. And how bent out of shape we get, when our service of one of them is disrupted, whether it be for an hour, a day, or a couple of weeks.
    But each and every one of them are actually blessings. Whether we would wish to or not, we could survive with out them. Yes, it would definitely take quite a bit of adjusting for most of us, but we can be adaptable when we want to be.
     I am very thankful that I don't have to adapt on a regular basis. Thank you Lord for the 'creature comforts' you have provided us in our home!!!!


The 2010 "I'm Thankful for: " Challenge   - if you don't know what this is, follow the lead on our side bar.

4 comments:

  1. I really like this article. Because of I like your positive attitude towards life. I feel very good to read this article and good to know about your experience. Thanks for sharing this article with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from 'my' Kate via her facebook page - "Today I am thankful for my winter coat. And mittens - "middens", as my beautiful seester Chris Firlik calls them. :) And while I'm at it, I'm thankful for her too! :)"

    ReplyDelete
  3. from Jill Roed. via email - "When I saw the headline to your e-mail, I thought "creature comforts" was going to talk about you animals!! LOL
    I would have to say I am thankful for our cat and dog. They bring such joy to our lives! And......they help keep us warm during the winter months by snuggling!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that you have great creature comforts. I learned so many things through your article. Thanks for sharing wonderful things for life.

    ReplyDelete

To those of you leaving us positive comments - THANK-YOU!!! We really do enjoy them!!!

A change has been made in how your comments are processed. They are now sent directly to the blog owners. If your comment made them smile, it will *eventually appear on the blog. [* depends on when we're on line next]